Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, May 08, 2008

More seals, professional beggers, and more scenery





The rugged Oregon coast.

You will notice, I hope, that the sky is gray, not blue, and the shadows are muted. No sun.

If you climb down the cliffside, you can walk on the beach. How will they get the dog back up?







Unlike New England which has a coastline full of bays and harbors, Oregon has three or four bays (I can't remember) and a few good estuarys. Depoe bay has room for three piers.



























That's it. The whole bay.




And here's the channel you have to shoot to get in an out. No place for cowards or amatuers.


Sea lion photos. I just love their tiny ears.













The proud young bull with his contented harem.


The lazy old bull having a luxurious scratch.


And, as promised, professional beggars. Got any nuts?

We tried giving him a baby carrot. He took it, tasted it, and threw it away, coming back to stand and demand junk food. So we gave him a rice cake, and he took it with glee. Another, smaller squirrel came along and happily ate the carrot stick. Then therest of their families descended upon us and attacked the nice man who DID have nuts.


We fled before the carnage became too appalling. I was too slow to get a picture of the three squirrels running up the guy's pant legs and trying to knock him down. Do not feed the little beggers at the beach! They will mug you and steal all your nuts!!

4 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh gods...it's the mom going hunting story all over again...and I was there to the bitter end!

    Excellent pix, Roxie--I'm with you--I do adore their tiny ears:-)

     
  • At 7:36 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    LOve your photos.

    I would love that marina but don't like the entrance. No way to sail into that marina. I does protect it from the waves I guess.

     
  • At 9:41 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I remember visiting Depoe Bay when I was a child, maybe 6 or 7 years old. My mom freaked out because I leaned over the railing too far to look at the opening to the bay. That little channel truly is scary.

     
  • At 2:25 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Great photos of the punchbowl. The colors in the rocks are beautiful. And gangs of beggars in Oregon? Who knew? Is that some kind of well kept secret so that tourists aren't discouraged?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home