Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, April 06, 2008

A few more flowers

After the standard daffodils bloom, the varietals begin to flash their exotic glories. It astounds me how many changes can be rung on the same theme. Trumpet and surrounding petals. Ienjoy these ruffled petticoat sorts a lot. Wouldn't this make a splendid summer skirt?

I'm not much for tulips since they don't have fragrance, and they don't last long when you cut them and bring them into the house. But the squirrels have decided that my garden needed a tulip somewhere, and here it is.

And here is a periwinkle blossom, also known as vinca, also known, quite charmingly, as love-over-the-ground. It's a color that looks particularly good on me. Always makes my grey eyes blue.

I spent half an evening looking for some specific yarn for a project I had in mind, and couldn't find it. DH has decided that it's timme to organize our lives. This is a long-term plan. We both like to think about things for a while. Then the day will come when he will say, "Let's go get those wire cubes at Costco," and the whole house will go base over apex for the weekend while we re-organize and clean under the furniture that is being moved. After that, two or three months when we don't know where the hell things are, and then, the dust will begin to accumulate again. I'm rather looking forward to it. I have lost two sweaters and at least one batch of yarn into the black hole of chaos this winter, and who knows what else we might make it cough up of we get serious. Or even if we get decidedly frivolous with it. Could we tickle the black hole of chaos till it coughs out my sweaters and eleventeen mis-matched socks?

So, not being able to find the hand-dyed silk and merino that I was searching for, I started a quick cotton shruglet using multi-plied weaving yarn, and my beloved garter stitch. I really ought to try something a bit more taxing one of these days to make sure I still CAN knit to a pattern. One of these days.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:20 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    And right there you've hit upon the romance of me and socks... I know how to knit them, the yarn is always yummy... why not socks?

    And vinca...we have some of it in the weed-bed in front of our house. Every morning, Cave Troll picks a vinca blossom and gives it to me...every afternoon I pull my ponytail out and fluff out my hair and get a handful of rotting vegetation... it's our 'thing'.

     
  • At 10:34 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    The vinca and I are at perpetual war, only interrupted by the snow. Someone planted it here decades ago, and it is trying to take over the world, starting with covering the trout lilies and trilliums.

    I could rip for weeks and like the Red Queen, only stay in one place.

     
  • At 5:52 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Just love the way you have with words.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home