Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, March 02, 2008

A moody, misty morning

Just the sort of day that makes me want to snuggle down and write!!


Last night, I went to the ballet. DH won tickets in a lottery where he works, and since he'd rather watch mildew grow than watch ballet, he sent me with my dear friend LG. And since LG won't be able to make it to knitting on Saturday, she gave me my birthday present early. Talk about the most heartfelt, thoughtful wonderful present. She took the time to knit and felt napkin holders, and then sew pretty soft napkins to go with them. I am just agog with delight!
See the pretty buttons on the napkin rings? She went through both her button box, and her late mother's button box. Since I knew her mom, it makes the buttons even more special to me.

Oh, these are SO going to be used next Saturday! And often after. The Artistic Director gives them his full approval.

LG and I went out for dinner in a delightful family-friendly place that made me think of a nice, bright pub with plastic dinosaurs scattered around. The food was healthy and delicious, and the conversation was so grand. We laughed and talked - I could have stayed there all night, but there was dancing to see!

And oh, what dancing it was! Our local Oregon Ballet Theatre. The corps du ballet was a bit ragged in their timing, but that's about the worst I can say. The costumes were delightful, the music was grand! LG's neighbor was a principal soloist in the first piece, singing excerpts from the opera Nais by Jean-Phillipe Rameau, written for the court of Louis XV of France. The costumes referenced the clothing of the time very wittily with little tutu length panniers on the ballerinas, and skin tight knee britches and long vests on the danseurs. Quite an ambitious undertaking and rather well done. Three principal couples showed me how differently they could dance. One couple was so elegant - with extensions that seemed almost elastic, and perfectly mirrored lines - his arms behind and above hers, held up at precisely the same angle. his legs and hers, the tilt of the head - You have no idea how hard that is to do until you've tried it. And then they accomplish this constantly, while executing leaps and pirouettes and gravity-defying lifts that they manage to to perform with no appearance of effort . . .

Another couple was strong, and superbly balanced. She would go up on one toe, cock her leg up behind her, and stand as still as if she had been cast in snow-white epoxy. And he had such crisp sharp movements. His middle name must be precision.

And the third couple were young, light, and she had the most graceful arms and hands.

OK, this is allegedly a knitting blog, so you are probably getting bored to tears. Two other things to mention, and then I'm on to knitting. The Afternoon of a Faun was set in a ballet studio, with only two dancers, and the choreographer, Jerome Robbins, used the clever conceit of having them dance as it watching themselves in a ballet studio's mirrored wall, which was the audience. Until just at the end when they made tender contact with one another eye to eye instead of reflection to reflection. So lovely!

And finally, Bolero, that weary old warhorse of so many symphonies, was danced on a set with panels of corrugated tin suspended from the flys, representing the defenses we put up around ourselves. And as the dance went on, the panels were lifted away, one by one. It was so absorbing, so enthralling that I lost all analytical awareness and just let myself be carried on the waves of sound and movement. Wow!

OK, this is a knitting blog. And yet, sometimes we go to the dark side - the C-zone. I am determined to make some fun hats, and this one just demanded creation yesterday.

Queen of love and beauty - winter crown,.

9 Comments:

  • At 10:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It sounds like a wonderful evening!! The napkins and holders are lovely and I'm sure that you'll have a table setting to complement them perfectly.

     
  • At 5:56 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Well, bless you for going into the C-zone...I've been known to visit a time or two myself! And bless you for making the ballet sound exciting--as someone who has sat through (count-em!) 10 years of watching kids, many of them w/so much heart and sooooo little talent, perform because they had to every year, believe me, making it sound good takes some doing.

    And the gift was LOVELY.

     
  • At 7:00 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    It's been a long time since I've been to the ballet. Your descriptions brought back some fine memories.

     
  • At 7:53 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I haven't been to the ballet since Mary and I went to see a friend dance The Nutcrakcer in the Hillsboro Children's Ballet theatre. Deb and I went to see The Nutcracker in Portland years ago.

    Your experience makes me want to check the Los Angeles Ballet schedule. I wonder if there is one.

    And the c* hat is truly darling!

     
  • At 9:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just popping in to wave hello!

    I love the crochet hat. For some reason when I feel the need for whimsy I go for the crochet too. Except I opt for crochet toys and such. :)

    And Happy Birthday (a bit early)!

     
  • At 2:12 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I wish Miss B and I had been at the ballet with you! And what a great birthday present.

     
  • At 4:15 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love the ballet. My office mate's wife has an "in" with the conductor of the PA ballet corps orchestra and she sometimes gets extra tickets. I was able to take El to see Carmina Burana (her favorite musical piece) and Kate to see The Sleeping Beauty. They were magical nights.

     
  • At 7:56 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    HB58, Roxie!

     
  • At 3:24 AM , Blogger Denise said...

    Aaaaah ballet... I very rarely get to see it live, but it is such a treat. I'm so glad you got to go!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home