Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, February 08, 2008

Maximizing the glory

Do you remember this gorgeous yarn that Dave Daniels gave me? I wanted to used every inch, sooo . . .
Using a solid-color alpaca and silk yarn, I knitted this nice soft lacey mesh, with a fifteen stitch stretch of stockinette. Drop those fifteen stitches and cut across the long strands left to make fringes. Now comes the hardest part. Cut the gorgeous yarn in pieces as long as the scarf and fringes.
After the cutting, things get easier. Weave those strands in and out the windows. Then knot all the fringey ends together, fling the scarf around your throat, and swagger in all your glory! It's a piece of art, Dave!

Yesterday I read the final chapter of my first book out loud to a 6th grade class. They were awesome! And what a rush it was to hear the approbation of many fans. The really cool part is that these are very bright kids and they have obviously thought a lot about the book. Their teacher asked them to share their favorite parts, and they blew me away. "I liked that she wasn't super. She had to struggle all the way through. Superheroes are boring." "I liked your descriptions. I could, like, really see the people and places." "How do you come up with your names? Relf was so right on for him." "I liked the fights. They were, like, really realistic." "I like that she wasn't all, you know, girly."

And the really cool part: the kids are all going to write letters to the local library and request that they buy copies of my books. SWOON!! Moreover, they all took home cards with the Authorhouse website so their parents could order the books on line. And most ego boosting of all, they mobbed me for my autograph!

8 Comments:

  • At 7:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It's beautiful Roxie!!

     
  • At 10:14 PM , Blogger Xia Diaz said...

    That's gorgeous!

     
  • At 1:59 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    How did I know you were going to be such a hit - because you are an awesome writer!

    How fabulous Roxie. Would have loved to have been there to witness the mobbing!

    Did I happen to mention I'd purchased your recent book ... and yes, I am going to read it!

    Love the scarf - never would have thought of doing that. xx

     
  • At 5:43 AM , Blogger Shan said...

    I love the scarf. It is beautiful!

    And woohoo, what a rock star you are. Glad the kids enjoyed your book. Would have loved to sit in on that class.

     
  • At 9:47 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I knew you would be great. You made some positive connections with those kids that they will remember for a long time. Go you!!! And the scarf is just gorgeous. What an inspired way to use that beautiful yarn.

     
  • At 4:43 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    The scarf is lovely. You are so creative. I NEVER would have thought to do that in a million years.

    I'm not surprised they liked your book. It's GOOD! And it's good for you to hear that and bask in the affirmations. You deserve it.

     
  • At 11:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    THAT.IS.INCREDIBLE! Great job. It looks much nicer paired with that yarn than all on it's own. It's very springy.
    And congrats on the little ones being so enamored with your book, just like the rest of us.

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Thanks for the idea with the scarfe. I've a couple of skeins of similar looking yarn and now I know how to incorporate it into a scarfe!

    I'm thrilled that the kids enjoyed you book so much. The reality of the book beign read and then having a thoughtful fanbase must be like food and wine for your writerly soul : )

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home