Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, February 03, 2008

A new LYS! -Yarnia

Yesterday, the comic gods of weather were spraying our neighborhood with air-flavored slushies. It wasn't actually snow, it wasn't quite rain, and it wasn't sticking. There's a hill about two miles away, and we could read altitude on it by the snow level. Houses on the top of the hill had an accumulation of snow in the street and yards. Houses halfway down had white roofs, but black track on the streets. Just a hundred feet up from the valley floor, the slush was falling as real snow and melting very slowly. The Empire State building could have experienced the whole gamut, I betcha. How tall is the Empire State Building, anyhow?

Be that as it may, DH, who is the kindest man in the world, knows I hate to drive in the freezy skid stuff, and at this time of the year, there's no telling when falling slush will decide to start freezing, so he offered to drive me to the new yarn store. Kudos and wreathes of glory to him! And kisses all over his face!

The new yarn store is Yarnia. SE 42nd and Division. It isn't flat on Division but kind of sideways in one of those angled blocks. A new concept in yarn stores. They have shelves and shelves of very fine yarn
And I doubt not that their stock will grow as their working capital does. They have cotton and wool and mohair and some alpaca and a variety of synthetics. Some boucles and slubbies, all sorts of single plies.
You select your colors and fibers, and tell the nice people how much you want, and they put the cones of singles on this big industrial size winder, and custom blend your yarn for you. Then they sell it by the pound!

Here are a few cones of yarns already plies up to give you an idea of where you could go with it.
And here is my purchase - wool and mylar (my inner magpie saw shiney and had to have it!) a quarter pounder for $8. Can't beat it with a stick!

http://www.yarniapdx.com Check it out!

Why is it that I can respond to some people's comments and not others? Have I set up Blogger wrong somehow? I am loving all the strokes and affirmation you have been giving me, and I want to thank each and every one of you. May the happiness you give me shine back twofold onto you.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    That's totally cool!! My mother always used to tell me, "All that glitters isn't gold." and while it may not be, I still have an affinity for the glittery & sparkly stuff!

     
  • At 10:38 AM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    Oh this place sounds fun!! 40 years - can you believe it? It's kinda scary actually! It seems like yesterday!

     
  • At 6:56 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    My sil has been trying to get me to go up to pdx for offf. Now I have another reason to go. Wow. Choose your own fiber content and color. Is that an electric spinning wheel that they are using to ply the singles?

     
  • At 7:38 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    Wow! That sounds very cool.

     
  • At 10:36 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Okay-- I couldn't know what to do with myself in there. I need my texture/fiber content predetermined and already created. I'd make a lousy painter--I can't even mix my own paint!

     
  • At 6:12 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Now and then a touch of the glitter is what you need. Sounds like a very cool yarn store. Great photos, BTW.

    And I CAN too beat it with a stick, two in fact!! At least that how it feels sometimes!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home