Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, February 01, 2008

Friday the first


Happy February!! This is the wet grey flannel month with the one red spark of Valentine's Day. And then I can look for spring (dances with joy!)So I am knitting pink silk rather randomly to comfort my luxury-loving inner sybarite. The knitting may become a blouse or top. It may not. But it feels so good to work with, and the colors are so warm and happy. This is knitting for the kinesthetic pleasure of the movement, more than for the finished product. The Yarn Harlot defines the different kinds of knitters, and like the Pisces that I am, I tend to swim between them randomly. Sometimes I'm analytical, sometimes I'm product-oriented, sometimes I'm a knitting evangelical. Today, I just want that soothing rhythmic, repetitive motion. Years ago, weaving was taught as physical therapy in mental institutions because the large muscle repetitive movements soothed many of the more violent cases. Mostly, they produced miles of rag rugs. Even homocidal maniacs like to create something. But I don't have space to set up the loom, so I'll do small muscle repetitive movements, and keep cheery till warmer days.

Thanks for your wonderful responses to my ten things meditation. Sometimes, as I was working on it, my inner critic was saying, "Don't brag. No one likes a bragger." We are trained to minimize our pride and maximize our humility. What a crying shame. Really. No wonder we don't change the world. We've been taught not to think that well of ourselves. In self-defense classes, I learned that women fight much harder to defend one another than they will to defend themselves. Well, enough of that crap! You're good! You are dynomite and you are worth defending and extolling and praising and appreciating! Look. I bragged. I celebrated things that I'm proud of, and hey - no one has shunned me. Try it. It feels terribly akward and nekkid, but also quite satisfying - clear down in the pit of your stomache. Come on. Brag a little brag with me. What do you like about yourself? Can you come up with ten things? If your son couldn't find ten things he liked about himself, wouldn't you worry about him? If your best friend couldn't find ten things, wouldn't you point out a few salient items to her? So take care of yourself! Maybe you don't want to publish it, but try writing down ten things you like about yourself. It's like vitamins for the soul. And during the winter we especially need our vitamins.

Knitting at my house on Feb. the 9th. I'm going to do an Asian table setting, but the food is going to be European. Cookies and maybe deviled eggs. And a cake of some sort. Any requests?

9 Comments:

  • At 2:38 PM , Blogger kathy b said...

    I love your number #8 because it is one of the things I like about me. You are right this is a hard thing to do. I'll give you one okay?

    Something I like about myself:
    I like most of my writing. I like my posts! Now why does that feel like bragging??

     
  • At 3:12 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Lemon iced cake...

    And I picked out luxury yarn for a baby outfit yesterday, just so I could knit with it! (I'm a Libra--I don't swim between them, I just weigh all the types of knitting out and find them fair...)

    And I may take you up on that challenge!!!

     
  • At 6:38 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    my request: fly me up for the day!

    I like that most people like me. And I like that I am a pretty good writer and am almost always grammatically correct.

     
  • At 2:17 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    Roxie, your quilt is absolutely beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

     
  • At 2:35 AM , Blogger Denise said...

    It IS hard to write positive stuff about your, the whole 'self-effacing' thing is really drummed into us. I tread a difficult line - I'm self-employed, so I have to promote myself - ain't no-one else gonna do it, that's for sure.

    But I feel awfully awkward when I do it - like taking advantage of my recent mention in Vogue Knitting - I'd be mad not to capitalise on that sort of thing. But when I say 'Hey, look what I did' on my blog, or on a forum etc, I feel that people think I'm showing off and up myself. Maybe they don't, but that's my gut reaction, and I feel embarrassed. It's really hard sometimes. Maybe I need an agent, LOL!

    GOrgeous quilt, by the way :)

     
  • At 4:59 AM , Blogger Shan said...

    I loved reading your list. I may do one of my own! Thanks for the idea:)

     
  • At 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh Roxie the whole thing was SO great and your concluding comments on this post so thoughtful and inspiring that I quoted some of this one in my neighborhood blog. So an 11th thing to like about yourself is that your words (and spirit) are wonderfully infectious!

     
  • At 5:20 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    It IS tough when we are raised not to "have big heads". My parents definitely believed in keeping us humble. At 50 I am learning that I can be a pretty terrific person if I want to. Confession time: my heart is beating faster as I write this. Am I afraid that someone will come up and say "Fraud! You are not a terrific person"?

     
  • At 5:52 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    It's not braggin' if you can back it up.

    And, my dear, you certainly CAN!

    Maybe some GERMAN LEBKUCHEN BARS.
    http://www.landolakes.com/mealIdeas/ViewRecipe.cfm?RecipeID=9233&cid=15
    That's the link from Land O' Lakes. It sounds a like like the ones my mom used to make. I'll probably not get the recipe tried out before the 9th but it sounds good. They're heavy so they'll need to be paired with something light. And the best thing you can do them a few days before as they're better when they sit a few days.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home