Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

not one of our better days



The Empress was fairly disoriented and restless yesterday - looking for Brother and SIL, constantly searching through cupboards and drawers, repeatedly surprised to see me in the house. When I asked what she was looking for she would jump guiltily and say, "Oh, nothing. Just looking." I didn't want to leave her alone in the house, so didn't get away to do a post with pictures. I kept hoping she would settle down, but she didn't. Still, she went to bed at 6PM, slept quietly, and seems bright eyed and alert today.

She repeats a lot. It's like she plugs in a short tape and says the same things in the same sequence. "There's sure a lot of beautiful houses up here. A lot of these houses are for sale - I wonder why. I guess people just got in over their heads. Everyone is trying to keep up with the Joneses. I wouldn't want to be raising a kid today - it's so expensive. Both parents have to work. And you have to keep up with the Joneses." I, for one, am sick to death of hearing about those stinking Joneses. Then she pulls another tape at random. "Your brother does all the cooking here. He's a good cook. In fact, all the boys are good cooks. You never did learn to cook, did you?"

And then, maybe she pulls out the, "There's sure a lot of beautiful houses up here," tape again. It doesn't really matter what I say in response to her comments. Obviously, it's my job to listen. I am not there to be heard. The tape plays on regardless. How would I like to be treated if I get like that? Pretty much the way I treat Mom I guess. With as much kindness and patience as can be summoned. I'm paying it forward.














Counting hours till I can go home? Not quite. But rejoicing that Thursday is the only full day left. I do not know how SIL can endure.

One of Mom's reoccuring brags is that she likes all kind of food. I'm going to put nasturtiums, violas and sweet pea blossoms in our salad today and see how she likes that. Is that too mean?





The surprise sweater is almost done. I'll post with a picture tomorrow.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:00 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    What lovely pictures--and you're a better person than I am.

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Not mean, but it may start a new tape. And maybe SIL and Bro will have an interesting time trying to understand why you would be poisoning the salad. Blessings to you as you endure. And you're right, paying it forward works.

     
  • At 1:00 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    I was expecting to hear from you today...but guess you found a posting site! I'm here all day today and tomorrow too! It was SO GREAT to see you...I've found those year books!!!

     
  • At 1:09 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    It IS difficult doing and going through what's going on. I'm glad you have your knitting.

     
  • At 3:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tell her that fluffy has run away, and you need to go and look for her.

     
  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    Sigh - yes, it's hard when the same tape keeps playing. My 84 year old FIL has dementia which is only getting worse (of course) - only he's becoming more angry as the disease progresses, which is hard to handle. His 'My life has been ruined since they took my driver's licence away' tape is wearing REAL thin. And that event happened 3 years ago ... and everyone on the roads is thankful (he was damn scary behind a wheel!!)!

    You're doing well - it's hard to keep listening with the same level of attention when you've heard the same thing twenty million times.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home