Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, August 26, 2007

I found a wifi site!!

Sunrise colors the clouds to the north at 615 AM














And then, by 6:30, the sunrise has begun to color the Three Sisters. Note to all my Aussie friends. This is what I think of when you say Three Sisters. The mountain on the left is Mt. Bachelor. Then, moving to the right is Hope, Faith and Charity. Usually snowcapped. This has been a hot dry summer. Just a few glaciers clinging to the shady sides right now.




Last night I struggled awake, alone in a strange bed, sure that John Wayne was in the house. At first, I couldn’t have told you exactly why I was sure of this, but by God, I knew he was around somewhere. Slowly I remembered that I was Mom-sitting, which accounted for the strange bed and the lack of DH, so I sat up in bed, turned on the light, looked at my watch . . 1:30 AM. Wotthehell?

Then I heard a man’s voice. And another man answered him. I couldn’t quite hear the words, but by their tone, I could tell they were arguing. “It’s a couple of yahoos outside on a Saturday night bender,” I reassured myself.

But they didn’t sound like they were outside. I got up and walked to the head of the stairs. The noise came from the rear of the house. Toward the garage. Toward Mom’s room. What if someone broke into the garage and was stealing Brother’s stuff? I tiptoed downstairs and pressed my ear against the garage door. Dead silence. Then suddenly, from Mom’s room, a man said, “What are you gona do about it?”

“I ain’t gonna hit ya. I ain’t gonna hit ya. The hell I aint gonna hit ya!” said John Wayne.

Mom had fallen asleep with her TV on. She loves the America Movie Channel. I went back to bed and slept contentedly. After all, what could happen with John Wayne in the house?

Mom and I are getting along pretty well. I’m doing the cooking because she puts things on the stove and forgets them. She doesn’t really love what I cook because I cook low fat with lots of veggies and nothing fried. Mom is from the school of thought that believes that if it ain’t fried, it ain’t food. But I make sure she has something sweet with every meal – And I do know how to make acceptable desserts – so she doesn’t complain. Also, I laid in a few TV dinners just in case.

Conversation is easy. She can’t remember anything, so we can have the same discussions, word for word, over and over and over again. I’ve thought about making stuff up, but that seems so unethical. And I’d hate it if someone did that to me. Just because I have a mind like a steel sieve, it still doesn’t make me a fit target for japery. Ands when I’ve had enough, I tell her I have to go work on my writing. She can’t climb the stairs, so I retreat to my fortress of solitude and play with the computer. Life is really pretty good.

The Turquoise baby surprise sweater turned out to be quite a surprise! I made a mistake in the directions somewhere, and the thing finished off about one foot high and three feet wide. Oops. So I raveled the thing all the way down and am starting over. I like to knit. And it’s not like I have anything better to do at the moment. I didn't want to throw the thing on the floor and dance on it screaming imprecations, because Mom would never understand. When ladies are upset, either they cry, or they drink. They never stomp on things in fury.Time for a Starbucks run I think.

Nope, not Fourbucks. Infinitely better, a local coffee house called, "Underdog Coffee. Yayyy!!! I'll be making a number of Underdog runs this week.

8 Comments:

  • At 3:28 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    What beautiful photos. Just lovely.

    Did you tell your mom that John Wayne was in the house? :-)

    I'm glad you have a retreat. Sounds like you'll need it.

     
  • At 4:17 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Beautiful photos, beautiful prose--and what a beautiful person to be taking such good care of family. The karma reward squad will be knocking on your door someday, I know it.

     
  • At 2:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ahhhhhhh... I love that we have such beautiful pointy mountains. Lovely shots of them! It makes me want to go camping, although I laugh to imagine me in a sleeping bag nowadays. ::snork:: Good luck with the rest of your stay. My mom had Alzheimer's; she rather quickly got to the point where she couldn't carry on a conversation. So I'd just keep babbling about anything and everything, hoping she was at least enjoying the fact that I was there - whoever I was. She did enjoy that I had my knitting. ;) ::hugs::

     
  • At 6:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those photos are even MORE better in the bigger sizes. Good captures.
    And telling her made up stuff? I think if it preserves YOUR sanity, it's allowed. Really. Because I said so.

     
  • At 7:48 AM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    Hey - are you still here? Give me a call 420-3843!!!!

     
  • At 8:44 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Aaaahhhh! I dreamed last night that I had Alzheimer's and the telephone lady hung up on me! Talk about your greatest fears coming out in your dreams! You're a kind and special lady to stay with your mom (tell MamaMia to be nice to me when she has to sit with me). The great thing about knitting and tinking is that you still get to knit again, and the knitting is the 'funnest' part.

     
  • At 8:59 AM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Why not jump on the knitting? It would at least give Mom something to think about. And would give you some emotional release, perhaps? We're in a similar situation now ourselves. Hang in there and retreat upstairs when you must. Even if part of the day you are upstairs (or out getting coffee) and she is downstairs, you are still providing that necessary care.

     
  • At 1:09 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Now I'll have that stupid cartoon theme song running through my head for the rest of the day...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home