Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

granola post- some of this, some of that

Kitty picture: How about a little orange in the fruit bowl?

finished object: A tuxedo vest. neck straps hiding behind top of support.

Close up of tuxedo vest. It might be too lacey for DH. There's lots of yarn left. I suppose I could knit it again on smaller needles, but I don't want to. Maybe I'll line it.

Saturday sky a bit belated. This is the country where I grew up. A dear friend passed away and the memorial service was held at this cabin on Saturday. It was a real voyage of nostalgia to attend. I spent many halcyon days as a bare-legged kid running wild across this lawn and wading in that icy cold river till I lost all feeling in my feet. I'm not going to tell the world where this idylic spot is because then you would all want to visit, and I'm not good about sharing.

Monday, the 13th, I did my first stint at the Washington County jail, administering GED tests. First glitch: I wanted to leave the college at 6:30 to give myself a little cushion of time in case of traffic delays. So I got there at 6:15, only to find that the buildings were all locked up and no one was around. NO one. Campus security was not in evidence. The coffee shop staff had not yet shown up. I finally saw a secretary in a second-story office, attracted her attention by throwing pine cones at her window, and got her to agree to send maintenence to let me in. By rushing wildly through my procedures, I managed to leave the college at 7:00 and by speeding just a little bit, made it to the jail by 8. They were expecting me, but the folks in the Control booth had no oks to let me in. Finally, the desk clerk had the happy thought to check and see if I might be listed under the company I worked for. Yup - Clackamas Community College. There I was. So I got the tests started only half an hour late, which for a maiden voyage and shake-down cruise is nothing to sneeze at. And with great joy I founf that they did not need me to stay till 5. I got to leave at 3 which put me in just the early stages of traffic congestion. It took me an hour and fourty five minutes to drive back to the college where I surrendered my GED stuff, then motored happily home. Thank God for books on tape! But I wound up spending wayyyy too much time sitting, and my hips are cracking like popguns today. Still, it could have been much worse, and it pays well, so I'm happy.

Today, I weave!


  • At 5:19 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    At least the Washington County jail has a new building. If you go there again and need to get lunch, I recommend the cream of mushroom soup at the tea shop at 2nd and Main (if it's still there, it was a year ago).

    An hour and forty-five minutes isn't bad, considering the 205.

  • At 10:09 PM , Blogger Jejune said...

    Phew, a lot of driving and rigmarole for one day's work - but it sounds like it went smoothly once you were there.

    That is indeed an idyllic spot... sorry for the loss of your friend :(

  • At 5:56 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    Yes, I'd like to order of bowl of Kitten Cuteness, to go, please.

  • At 10:52 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    And one for me too. I'm beginning to experience kitty withdrawal.

  • At 6:27 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    What a lovely place--and DH will be so proud of his tuxedo vest...

    I hate the uncertainty of a new job...I like being comfortable...

    (And I'm terribly sorry about your friend...but I won't linger because I can tell you don't want us to...)

  • At 2:27 AM , Anonymous MonicaPDX said...

    Great kitty pic! Ditto the vest. Maybe if you remind DH of all the embroidery on 18th-century waistcoats? Yeah, I know, still probably wouldn't go over well if he problems with laciness.

    And that's a beautiful place to remember someone dear. So sorry, hon. ::hugs::


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home