Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, August 30, 2007

surprise in blue



Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise jacket, mostly in Paton's Encore, with a downy soft scrap from the stash for trim around that soft little baby neck. It looks like ocean colors to me. I'm going to look for buttons with fishies on them. And I think I'll pull out a bit from that oversized beret and knit a little pocket for this jacket.






Close-up of the colors. Something about mitering pleases me inordinately!!



Today's photos were brought to you by Julie O'Neal (well behaved women never make history is the title of her blog.) She lives close enough and is kind enough to let me come visit for a getaway. We went to highschool together during the last century. She got out the old yearbook and we laughed and sighed. Who would have ever imagined we would go the places we went? Or turn out like we have? And yet, neither of us would change a thing even if we could. All things considered, we are each quite happy with our lives. Right, Juli? And thanks again for the break. It's a life-saver.

There was a nice little thunderstorm here last night. Folks who live in places where there are real thunderstorms would laugh at it. I found it delightfully entertaining. The lightning strikes came about two or three minutes apart. The wind didn't get wild at all. I turned out the lights and watched it roll toward us through the twilight. Clear sky with stars all around it, and one massive thunderhead streaming veils of rain from the trailing edge. I know when you see the lightning, you're supposed to count the seconds until you hear the thunder and that will tell you how far away the strike was, but I can't remember the formula to save my life. But the interval went from thirteen seconds to 8 to 5 to flashKABOOM!! Then to three, to 6, and then the rain started. tac. tictac. tictictacketytic. Tackeytacketytacketytacatacatacatacahshhhhhhhh!!!
The blacktop steamed in the lamplight. And the smell, oh the smell! The dust-settling, air-freshening, leaf-washing fresh smell that comes with the rain! I left the window open and slept like I had been shot and stuffed.

Mom is so much better today. She's alert and cheery and good to go. I didn't put nasturtiums in the salad after all.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ooooh! How I miss a good thunderstorm! Since moving to California from the east coast 7 years ago I haven't experienced one. Your description is perfect.

     
  • At 6:32 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    I love thunderstorms. When I was a child I was terrified of them, mostly the lightening as I recall.

    I like the jacket, colors, everything.

     
  • At 7:18 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    The sweater is beautiful.

     
  • At 7:29 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Thunderstorms are marvelous. I love the smell they leave behind. We get some doozies here in New Jersey. Of course, my cats are a different story altogether....

     
  • At 3:03 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wonderful sweater, Roxie--maybe the thunderstorm was what had her on loop-mode yesterday... something horrible about waiting for all that drama...

     
  • At 3:47 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    The sweater is really great. What size?
    You either hate or love thundertorms. I love them. We'd occasionally get real doozies in Papua and we'd go outside and watch them, stand in them.
    I think your mom's brain cleared with the rain too.
    PS: Please send us some rain. We're very hot and very dry.

     
  • At 5:19 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    I could smell your storm coming. We've been having some just like that.

     
  • At 6:44 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I love the little storms that you can see coming. Also the little sweaters.

    Sound travels 1129 feet per second; light travels 186,000 miles per second, so if the thunder comes 5 seconds after the lightning it's about a mile away.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home