Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, July 26, 2007

The old pro weaves - Chpt 3

Chpt 3, rolling on the warp.

So here is your new warp, all tied on and ready to go, with the reed set up properly into the beater. Push the beater forward with one hand, and gently push and lift on the taunt dummy warp behind it to work the knots through the reed.


Here the knots are between the reed and the heddles.






Now go to the back beam, take a handfull of dummy warp, cut it loose from the knot, and pulling with one hand, work the new warp through the heddles with the other hand.




Tie a knot in the dummy warp, and tie it onto the back beam. You should have a lot of loops stapled onto your back beam. You don't? Go get some sstrong cord and a heavy-duty stapler.



Reperat untill all the warp knots have been pulled through and tied on to the back beam. YOu will notice they aren't even. Don't worry.

Now, you will need something to keep the warp trhreads from settling among one another as the warp isrolled onto the back beam. If you are a meticulous typer person, you can take butcher paper, cut it four inches wider than your warp, fold up 1 inch borders twice, and place it under the warp as you go. Or you can use dowells, or lathes or anything relatively rigid that will keep the layers seperate.

I use venetian blind slats.
Keep rolling on the warp and slipping the seperator layer in as you go. When you feel resistance, stop and go comb out the warp at the breaast beam.


When it starts shifting the beater and reed, it will look kind of like this.








Unchain a length of the warp,
take your wide-tooth comb, and smooth those snarls.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

New weavers are often taught to warp under tension. I'm not sure why. It isn't necessary. As long as the tension is even across the width of the warp, it doesn't matter if it's tight or not.

This technique is not good for long warps. The length of this warp will be determined by how many yards you can set up using the loom and maybe a few extra sticks tied to nearby chairs or tied upright to the loom frame itself.

Tomorrow, tying the warp to the breast beam and starting to weave.


Kitties like hot laundry right from the dryer.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OMG, seeing all those knots and stuff just makes me weak. I'd have given up. How many days have you been doing just the set up? And how long will your non-dummy warp be for the piece?

     
  • At 3:34 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Okay...I'm sort of with Dave...I've got to say, you're making the appeal of sticks and string awfully strong...knitting is very user friendly compared to this! (But not as sturdy as weaving, is it? and not as practical for large objects...okay, I'm seeing the pro and con thing here...) but still... I'll never look a period costume in the eye again...

     
  • At 4:28 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    Good heavens above, what a lot of knots, jargon, and preparation. I guess that once you've done all this prep, the actual weaving process is relatively fast, or am I waaaay off there?

    I'm surprised kitty likes hot clothes in SUMMER?! Crazy cat brain.

     
  • At 11:14 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I go offline for 24 hourse and I'm already behind. I am going to have to sort through all this later on once I have my loom standing up and not in pieces in my closet. I am in awe.

     
  • At 4:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Man, I wish someone had had the idea of a wide-tooth comb when we had some sticky wool warps...

    Warping under tension? Grief. I don't even want to think of that. How could you even do it all by yourself?? I didn't learn the dummy method, so yeah, we wound the warp on the back beam first before threading. But even then we didn't worry much except for keeping bunches of warp from piling up in one spot, or preventing something like loops of loose warp hanging.

    Question - with the knots, does the dummy warp method work ok when you have rigid metal heddles as opposed to string or the wire ones? My loom (which I was practically given by a friend, so I made no choices in style [g]) has the metal heddles. Not that I couldn't rig a heddle jig and tie some string heddles. But unless you had a warp using really thick yarn, would there tend to be major snags while pulling the dummy warp knots through the heddle eyes?

     
  • At 6:49 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    Oh who is absolutely gorgeous!!!

    So pleased to see you are getting back into weaving. So much work setting it up - I never realised.

    Enjoy your weekend.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home