Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Saturday skies


A partly cloudy good morning to you! 72 Farenheit is 21 Celsius, and for those of us easing out of winter, it's just about barefoot weather. Five years ago, when DH and I were in Sydney and still jet lagged, we found a 24 hour cafe on the harbor where we could catch breakfast at 7 AM. We were sitting out on the patio in our shirt-sleeves, enjoying the warm morning, watching the commuters come off the boats wrapped in heavy coats and hats and scarves as if they were expecting blizzards. It's all a question of being acclimated. May is autumn in Oz, and everyone was used to the searing summer heat. 72 was downright chilly to them. May is the start of spring for us, and we were coming out of a lingering winter. 72 feels downright balmy!! And we will probably get that high again today. I, at least, intend to gt balmy.

And then, the weatherman tells us, the thunderstorms will roll in. We're going out for dinner tonight. I'd better remember to bring a slicker for the walk back to the car.


The washcloth bush is producing quite nicely. Wonder what I'm going to do with these when they're all harvested? I'm beginning to think washcloths are like zucchinis. Lots of fun to grow but then what do you do with them?

*How can you tell that a guy has no friends at all? In August, you'll see him in the grocery store, buying a zucchini.*

Yesterday, I spent hours with the bamboo yarn and my Barbara Walker pattern books, trying simpler and simpler forms of lace. For starters, I just don't love multi-colored lace. It's too busy. You go to all that work to create a fabulous, intricate fabric, and the colors play a dissonant counter-pattern. And in the second place, I'm lazy, and lace needs you to pay attention. How do you remember where you stop on a multi-row repeat? I couldn't read the fabric. Stitch markers between every repeat helped keep the count right, but is this a purl side of the chart or a knit? I wound up with good old feather and fan, and it's making quite a lovely scarf!! Pictures when I have a few more repeats done.

9 Comments:

  • At 7:49 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    Hi there Roxie

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. I've just sent you an email and had it returned undelivered once again, so will resend it later.

    Enjoy your weekend. xx

     
  • At 8:38 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    Hi there once again. Sorry to use your blog, but how easy is this!

    Sending to the correct addy and just answered your recent email, but have had it returned, so will send it later today.

    Have a great weekend. xx

     
  • At 2:39 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    A washcloth with a bar of soap (or a zucchini, depending on the season) tucked into it makes an excellent little gift for anyone you want to give a little something, but I've no doubt you knew that.

    Although I've seen some lovely multicolored lace, saw some today in face, I tend to agree with you. And feather and fan is an oldie but a goodie.

     
  • At 4:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    21 is balmy - we had that and a bit more earlier this week but it's cooled down now for the next few days.
    In general I prefer variegated yarns in simple patterns, but sometimes the right lace pattern comes along and it works. Trial and error I guess, along with personal taste. Can't wait to see what you're doing.

     
  • At 5:27 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh... where do I find a 'baby clothes' bush? Ladybug just grew again, and I need to go pick some sunsuits:-)

     
  • At 7:24 AM , Blogger Flea-Bites said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 7:25 AM , Blogger Flea-Bites said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 7:27 AM , Blogger Flea-Bites said...

    Looks like you and I had similar temperatures today. We had the fire on tonight as the downstairs of our house is cold when you're sitting, but I had to open the door, it got so hot!
    Feather and fan is a beautiful pattern - it will never date.

    In case you're wondering, I accidentally posted this twice, then deleted it - twice! Third time lucky.

     
  • At 11:27 AM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Where do I find one of those great bushes ~ maybe a yarn bush. I wonder if the replicator on the Starship Enterprise could/would do yarn?

    I DO like the colors you choose. I'm anxious to see your lace. I agree lace has to be in a solid or in very subtle shades

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home