Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, May 06, 2007

designing again


Yesterday, DH was amazingly patient and went to the guilds show with me. The handweavers' guild, the pottery guild, the metal-workers' guild, and the fine woodworkers' guild all took over the convention center and displayed their wares. It was hog-heaven! I didn't buy anything, but I got inspired seven ways from sunday, and I grabbed fistfulls of cards for future purchases.
My friend, Teresa, who is a dyer and weaver, has dyed and skeined up some bamboo/tencel yarn and gave me a skein to knit up a sample for her. Isn't it gorgeous? I think it will be a little tank top - knit side to side since I like vertical stripes. It has a nice soft hand and a lovely sheen. I have to find a skinny model for this, though, since one skein won't make a top for a luxury model like me. "I have everything a man could need. I'm built for comfort, not for speed."
The pottery show always blows me away. there are som many things you can do with clay! bowls, boxes, cups, teapots(there were some happy blue and yellow chicken teapots that, if I were going to collect teapots, I would have collected. And a glorious set of mugs in that great blue/lavender/garnet colored glaze with dragons curling around the side and serving as handles.) There were flat slabs of clay with wonderfully painterly pictures incised and glazed on them. There were matt glazes and shiny glazes and earthy glazes and metallic glazes and the thinnest, translucent porcelain vases shaped and tinted like calla lillies . . .
The metal workers had mostly jewelry. I mostly didn't look too close. Why attract the attention of the magpie? And the fine woodworkers - sigh. Which of us doesn't need another beautiful box to hold all the possibilities of our lives? I especially love the boxes with odd shapes and hidden drawers.
When I finish the sample for Teresa, we may collaborate on some kits. It's a treat to play with her fun yarns, and she will pay me off in yarns of my choice. Like some black silk for that tuxedo vest for DH.
Ladies' knitting will meet here on the 19th. It's a blue and white theme this month. shall I set a virtual place for you?

5 Comments:

  • At 5:29 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Absolutely! Set a place for me. I'll bring blue and white yarn! I have a couple of blue tea cups. Shall I virtually send you one?

     
  • At 5:31 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    In the late 19th century the ladies of Deerfield, MA, at one time the westernmost European settlement in MA and possibly even in the US (have to look that one up), formed the Society of Blue and White Embroidery. It went defunct in 1926, a real pity, I think. Please do set a place for me: I'll be working on those blue socks I haven't quite finished yet, and I would like that wonderful cat cup you were so kind as to put out for me last time.

     
  • At 9:47 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Looove craft shows...hate making the decision NOT to buy...good for you, though!!!! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. (hee hee...built for comfort, not for speed...yup...that's me...)

     
  • At 7:10 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    Oh yes please, I'll be there (I wish!).
    Love the yarn. I know you two will have heaps of fun.

     
  • At 1:03 AM , Blogger Flea-Bites said...

    I love coming to your place. Can we please have a hand embroidered cloth or runner (blue & white, naturally)? I'll bring the blue vest I'm knitting.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home