Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

And then it was bedtime . . .

I was so good yesterday! I went to Weight Watchers and finally broke the plateau. After five weeks of good behavior and one week with no loss, I have finally broken the ten pound barrier. I was ready to start stripping to the skin if I didn't show ANY loss yesterday. Luckily it didn't come to that. Just shoes and sweater. And I went to the bathroom just before I left the house and went in without belt or earrings or makeup . . . Well, it WORKED!




Then I spent the rest of the day with my able assistants -















Transforming a pound of this,(Home cleaned, comercially carded roving, home-dyed with Rit)










into a pound of this. Yes, I know it looks like pony poop. I was too busy to take these balls of dark navy yarn outside to show them off properly. A pile of these little balls of singles looks like the residue of a Shetland left in the middle of the woad.












to this.

You know. this picture really sucks. Brief pause while I do better.









There we go! Since I hadn't managed to scour it well before I sent it in for carding (I had TWENTY FIVE fleeces for crying in the sink! You get BORED washing that much greasy wool!) it didn't take the dye very well. I took the 2 plied skeins into the bathtub with me for a through shampooing, and came out with slightly blue buttocks from the excess dye that came out. With my elfin charms, I guess you could call me a Pictsie. (Thanks to Terry Pratchett for the pun)

I think this yarn wants to be a rustic cable sweater. (For a child. Once we got rid of the excess dye and grease and grass and dead bugs, and short-cut neeps and noils, there is about 3/4 of a pound of material to work with. I learned to assess my materials by the poundage method back before Red Heart was putting yardage on the lables. I'm still stuck in looking for a pound of yarn to make an adult long-sleeved sweater.)

I always put at least one hugs and kisses cable into my cable-knit sweaters. And a panel of ribbing under the arms for fudge factor to help with the fit. After that, who knows?

I ended the day, knitting on the baby Surprise sweater and watching Dancing with the Stars - one of my guilty pleasures. Oddly enough, I find myself rooting for Billy Ray Cyrus, even though his dancing is a trainwreck and I'm not into Country Music. He just tries so hard! Laila Ali, Apollo Anton Ono, and Joey Fatone (of In Sync) are much better, technically, and they are a delight to watch. But Billy Ray is Everyman giving it his best shot with earnest good cheer. Go, Billy Ray!



As long as I was out in the backyard in my robe and slippers just now, I grabbed a chance to snap a shot of my new scented geraniums. Pepermint, rose and chocolate. Good luck to them! They're too delicate to winter over, so in the fall I harvest and dry the leaves. I also dry the petals of every rose that blooms on the property, and with a drop of scented oil and a handful of lavendar, it makes nice potpourri. (And it also makes great magic packing material for fragile objects. An estate-sale cup packed in fragrant dried rose-petals makes a rather wonderful Christmas gift for a young lady.)



7 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    A VERY productive day...I love all the pix--and the image of the Pictsie! (Chicken is reading the Terry Pratchett book...I will be picking it up as soon as I'm done with yours!!!) The idea that you washed and spun and dyed all that is incredibly cool!

     
  • At 10:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow. You must sleep really well if you do this much every day! Congrats on breaking the plateau - that such a frustration. I love the pic of your sleeping babies!

     
  • At 10:57 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Your cats are so feline, words fail me. If I had that productive a day once a month I'd be happy. (Especially when it comes to spinning.)

     
  • At 11:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats on the plateau-busting.
    And you know about Rit dye, right? That it contains so much stuff to dye anything, animal or plant. So, whatever doesn't get used needs to be washed out? It's horrible stuff.
    And, hey, you spin??? What are you using? We need to talk. You have TOO many mysteries, lady.

     
  • At 1:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Congratulations - keep workin' it!

     
  • At 2:01 AM , Blogger Flea-Bites said...

    Congratulations on your plateau busting - I know how hard it is. The image conjured up by the word 'pictsie'! Why didn't you post a photo!!

    I love the wool - it's a a very soft shade of grey and will look great knitted up.

     
  • At 8:47 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Contrats! on the plateau-bustin'.

    The yarn looks great, filled with possiblities.

    I love scented geraniums, too. My favorite is lime. I always get a few for the patio.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home