Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Orphanage blanket completed


It's wooly, it's bright, it's warm and there is love in every stitch and a blessing in every twist. Having busted that much out of my stash, I immediately ran out and bought International Orange poly-wool Encore to knit a sweater for my 6 year old great-nephew. Amy, thanks for the Bernat site and the free pattern. Good stuff!
It's sunny, and I'm in that sort of mood, so here is my art reviewer's take on this blanket:
The sportive randomness of coloration counterbalances the rigidity of the implied gridding, rendering a playful tension highly evocative of the spirit of childishness struggling to express itself in our regimented society. Poignantly, as the color / childish spirit comes closer to the edges, it becomes freer and less restrained, but never quite escapes.
As Harriet Vane told Peter Wimsey, "I used to piffle quite well."
So, all you folks that have copies of the book, how's it going? Please be honest. I'll never grow any better if you just say, "It's very nice, dear." I'm current;y having trouble sending e-mails, but I am eager to hear what you think.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:46 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I'm enjoying the book very much, although I haven't read very far into it yet. Favorite line so far: Did you dream you were a horse?

     
  • At 1:42 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Harriet and Peter--two of my favorite people. Why live in the real world when Peter and Harriet can keep you company in your imagination? John and I often say we're great pifflers.

    The blanket is delightful. Can I curl up in it? Love the small squares along the ends.

     
  • At 7:57 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Hey--I actually do have a couple of notes (only because you asked, darling, not because anything popped out at me...) that I could give you already... I'll e-mail them... The blanket looks awesome, and I'm trying to place the characters... Helen Vane & Peter Whimsy--where from?

     
  • At 9:51 AM , Blogger Yeah So said...

    Great blanket! If you're still offering, email me your story.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home