Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, April 12, 2007

natter, natter, natter

I got a haircut yesterday. It's been five months since the last one, so you can imagine that I have gotten rather shaggy. I even grabbed the manicure scissors and trimmed a bit myself - an inch off the bangs, a clip here and there around the ears. I tried to do so in the spirit of my hairdresser. He is a genius. He takes scissors to my natural waves and sculpts out a stylish, flattering coiffure that takes NO maintenance. No curl enhancers, mousse, gels, sculpting wax, or spray. I just run a brush through it and go. And he makes me look expensive.

It was one of those days when you just don't get around to makeup, so I was astounded when one of the salon managers asked me if I had ever modeled and if I might be interested in doing so. Is that a good haircut, or what? Well I'm willing to try anything once, so I said sure, and he said they'll get in touch. Surely he's not thinking about runway work. Those girls wear size 2. I'm into size 18. Maybe he's thinking plus-size models. Or maybe he just wants me to sit still and let them play with my hair. I'm less enthusiastic about that. I've put in a lot of time and effort to grow this particular shade of silver, and I don't want some colorist dinking around with it.

Back when I was 21 and a stone cold fox, I got another offer to model. The guy had a polaroid and satin sheets. I turned him down. So I guess there are SOME things I won't try even once.

Yesterday, in a misguided urge to tidy up my laptop, I managed to delete my wi-fi software. I had to take the thing down to the Geek Squad and throw myself on their mercies. (They all wear black slacks, white short-sleeved button-down shirts, and black neckties. Perfect uniforms!) I was helped by a dear young lad who has just moved into a big house with five of his friends. Oh gosh I remember those days. He has SO much learning in front of him! I left the laptop to go run errands, and brought a couple of big chocolate chip cookies back to my helper. He was tickled pink. I'm rather enjoying this grandmotherly thing.

Lots of knitting time on the orange hoody. I'm through one ball of yarn already. In fact, I'm already starting to plan the next project. Anyone know where I can find E. Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Sweater pattern? I had it once and it is lost in the detritus of time. Is it in a book I could buy? That sweater is such great magic and what a stash buster!!

7 Comments:

  • At 10:01 AM , Blogger margene said...

    What no pictures of the haircut!? Isn't life more fun from this vantage point. No make up and you can take cookies to a cute guy without him thinking anything dirty;-)

     
  • At 11:31 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Some lucky people find a way to get to grandparenthood without going through that challenging intermediate step.

     
  • At 2:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I leave my hair till I can't stand the 2" of grey roots showing, it usually takes about 5 months. I trim my bangs once, sometimes twice.

    Of course I can believe you were asked to model - you look so lovely in the pictures on your blog, just imagine what a professional photographer can do with his lenses & editing!!

     
  • At 5:44 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    NOt only do I second Wanietta's sentiments about the modelling, I'm betting that Geek Squad guy was probably flirting:-) (I'm thinking Mrs. Robinson, not Mrs. Grandma Robinson, myself:-)

     
  • At 5:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah, what Margene said: NO PICS?
    Tommorow's assignment is to take another fabu pic and post it.

     
  • At 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, and I did some tuxedo modeling back in the day. Sometime a long long time ago, in a land far far away, when disco was king and Donna Summer was queen.
    Yeah, it was THAT long ago.

     
  • At 8:24 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    I call that hairstyle "spit and go". Love it.
    Grandparenting our kids' cats involves lots of catnip. Just the ticket for me. And hanging out with other people's littles is great--like the little models I used last week. Went to the beach last night with them. Then I didn't have to put them in MY car and clean them up at home. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home