Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Pink sweater done!

Here is my pepermint candy sweater for the orphanage. Solid color would show off the details beter. After knitting both sleeves and sewing the side seams(whip stitch. I'm lazy), I then picked up along the front, across the back of the neck, and down the other front, and knit three inches of k1,p1 rib. Then I bound off up to where the armhole started (using a size fifteen needle in my right hand to make the bind off loose and stretchy.), ribbed across the back of the neck and down, then bound off up the other side to where the armholes start. Then, for the next three inches, I knit two together at the beginning of each row, and bound off. There was a little yarn left. I knit a pocket.




This should fit a three-year old. Or a skinny five-year-old. I had some sparkly clear plastic buttons which went on the front, and were anchored on the back with some chunky old brown buttons. For fastenings, I took my crochet hook and, holding the yarn behind the work, pulled up a loop to the front, then pulled up a loop in the next stitch, and pulled it through the first loop. Repeat to the edge of the fabric. Work a chain about an inch long, then again chain through the fabric an inch back from the edge. Tah Dah! Button loops! If the description doesn't make sense, I'll make a sample swatch with white yarn and show you.



And look! Looklooklook! It got sunny today. This is me in my hand-spun, hand dyed (with Jello) hand knit poncho and matching hat. This is how I look when I'm taking my own portrait. I love my portraits. The sun is shining. I love everything! Sunshine triggers my inner Yorkshire Terrier. Happy,happyhappyhappy!

6 Comments:

  • At 5:24 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    What a tour-de-force! Beautiful poncho and hat. I bow before true knitterly and spinnerly talent. Enjoy the sunshine!

     
  • At 2:09 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    ooooohh, very , very nice. Love the colour combination too, but next time, face the camera!

     
  • At 5:21 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Brilliant! You make it all sound so easy, even for the sweater-impaired.

     
  • At 9:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow--Jello-- who knew? Excellent sweaters--and such a nice cause! I'm missing the time I used to have to knit for charity... (and the ones from last year in the blog above, also very nice knitting...) And I know what you mean about sunshine...it was colder than a spurned debutante tonight, but the sky was so crystal clear it was worth the walk!!!

     
  • At 10:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the soft colours you get with jelly-dyeing (note the cultural difference - we speak English proper in Orstraylia. The little jacket turned out really well - I hope some little girl in Romania feels the care and love that went into it. Poor little pets.

     
  • At 7:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wowee that handspun hand dyed (with jello) is so IMPRESSIVE!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home