Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

On the 9th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me

He took me to the local Scottish Highland Games, and we saw
nice laddies dancing.
a maid a-milking
seven wanton women,
six geezers lying,
five old things,
four falling birds,
three wrench sets
two purple gloves,
and a part-red ginger bear tree.

I really enjoy the Highland games. Have you ever been? These are competitions sprung from real work. For example, there's hurling the stone. The stone weighs about 54 pounds. I can barely lift it. It is raised over the head and cast as far away as possible. It gives a whole new reality to the expression, "it's just a stone's throw away." The athletes have immense hairy calves, broad shoulders, ruddy cheeks, and infectious booming laughs. And the guys are pretty impressive, too.

I relish the sound of the bagpipes. I enjoy the food (how about a hard-boiled egg swaddled in ground sausage, rolled in crumbs, and fried to a deelicious, artery-clogging crisp?) The kids, from five years old on up are competing in piping and dancing and athletic events. One local Scottish girl married a nice Japanese gentleman. He and both of his almond-eyed children are a force to be reckoned in the piping competitions.

Of course, my years of weaving plaid for Pendleton's fabric design department has left me with an auger eye for tartans. I have been know to stop passing strangers, grab the hem of the kilt, spread a pleat or two and demand, "That's not an Ancient MacKenzie, is it?" Luckily, everyone there knows what I'm talking about. I haven't been reported to security once!

No pictures today. I finished the February socks for Miz. G, but no photos till she gets them. And I am well along on a set of pop-up paws for Linda's birthday, but no photos on THOSE till they are delivered. I got the Red Scarf projects mailed off, as well as the single extortion sock, so I have done a decent day's work already. Now to fold laundry and write on the Western. HiYo Silver! Away!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love going to the highland games. I think next year I'll join my dance group and be a volunteer dancer.

    I spend this weekend going to a couple of Hogmany dances. I love the kilts and the pipes there.

    Happy New Year :)

     
  • At 10:03 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I grew up working at a renaissance festival...love the men in kilts :)

     
  • At 9:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the Ren faire, and I've been dying to go to the Highland games (we have some nearby...) it's all about time...but I gotta tell you, that egg thing sounds totally gross...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home