Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

And the design rolls along





Last night we had dance class (DH is a PRINCE! A PRINCE I tell you!! I am the luckiest woman in the world!) so there wasn't much time to knit. I picked up the one sleeve along the side of the body and used up a ball of yarn on it. I went with stockinette so there would be less chance of those busy sleeves snagging on things. Then, when the ball of yarn was down to ping-pong ball-ish size, I worked six rows of knit to make a garter stitch cuff, and bound off fairly snugly to bring the edges in a bit.

I really love the way this yarn is striping up. I had a lot of white singles spun up, so when I went on my dying binge, I took a dozen skeins and stuck one end into the dark pink jar, letting the other end dangle outside. (All this done quite casually with boiling water and gallon jars set in the sun in the back yard. I'm messy. You don't need to scrub the lawn.) The color wicked up the wet yarn quite nicely. Then, when I plied the skeins, wonderful streaks and barberpoles occurred.

Today, I was scheduled to go to the jail, but all the weather reports are for snow and more snow and additional snow on top of that, and I really suck at driving in the snow, so I called in and cancelled. When I called, it was above freezing here in our little section of the banana belt, but the college and the jail are about 500 feet higher. When I called to cancell, they acknowledged that the snow was falling and sticking and things were just likely to get uglier.

Three hours earlier, when I went out to get the paper, my car was covered with the most glorious pattern of frost! I tried to get pictures, but failed miserably. Any suggestions on photographing frost in the dark?

I have about 300 grams of fingering weight baby-yellow rayon. It's silky, slippery, enough for a small blankie or a tank for a slim woman, or, if done in an open lace, it would make a lovely shawl. It is really bugging me to use it up, and I can't think of anything to do with it. Anyone want to give this nice old yarn a home? I don't enjoy knitting with it, and there are a gazillion other things I need to get to first.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is such a cute sweater. I've heard of doing them that way, but never saw one out flat like that. I think I get it now. And I like your idea of wick-dyeing. You should do a tutorial on that some time.

     
  • At 8:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay, I can't really add to dave's comment--the sweater looks AWESOME!!! I'd love to step up and 'me-me' the rayon, but I'm eyeballs deep in project backlog, and by the time I got to it, it would be for Arwyn's first dance... (but that won't stop me from thinking about it...I do that.) We don't live in snow country--but Natomas, where I teach, was ranked the spot most likely to be the next New Orleans in a flood. Yeah--I don't really want to call work on account of flood, so I'll just have to take an entire day off for a morning well-baby appointment tomorrow. It's a perk!

     
  • At 11:06 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    So pretty! Like peppermint candy.

    Can't help you with the yarn, sorry. Yellow is not my color, and rayon is not my fiber.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home