Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, December 28, 2006

On the fourth day of Christmas

My true love gave to me . . .
three ducks squabbling with a nutria by the pond

"What, pray tell, is a nutria?" you may ask. The nurtia is a large South American water rat that someone imported to our area with the misguided notion that they could be raised for fur or food or something. Unfortunately, no one wants to buy nutria fur. And though the critters are a protien staple in South America, they are not a longed-for delicacy. So the importers - turned - them - loose!! They have taken to our waterways like ducks to water and are upsetting the ecology no end. This one is about half-grown and happily ensconced in the protected wetland behind the local library. He will waddle to within five feet of you, grin at you with his orange rodent teeth, and beg for duck food. The ducks hate him.

Blackjack has good, strong kidneys and liver, so if we do decide to opt for surgery, he is likely to survive it. On the other hand, he is doing pretty well, just gimping around with the splint. Time will tell.

I went to the yarn store yesterday and bought the yarn for pop-up paws. And somehow, while the credit-card was out, my mind went into a fuge state and I came out of the store with yarn for a gift, and a new set of size 4 rosewood DPNs. How did these get into my basket?

I had a bit of time still to kill, so I stopped at the fabric store. Inventory clearance sale. Aquamarine silk - usually $15.99 a yard. Bolt-end price is 50% off. clearance price - 20% more off. OK, so I bought 1 1/8 yards of the silk , and two skeins of sock yarn for less than a full yard of silk would have retailed for. Lessee - what can I do with 1 1/8 yards of silk?

So I had new needles and new yarn in my bag when I got to the writer's group. Obviously, one can listen better when knitting, right? And yet another UFO hits the needles!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:28 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Someone in a book I read once had a nutria coat. I don't suppose you could steal that one for a stole?

    Credit cards and yarn will gang up on you. And if there's fabric nearby, on sale yet, well, you are doomed.

     
  • At 6:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No no no...until they get shoved in a back corner, they're WIPs... anyway, now that I know what a nutria is, I'm sort of re-thinking my whole adolescent 'ban on fur' thing...I mean, it sounds like those things are just itching to be hats, you think?

     
  • At 1:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Beware of yarn shops! Harry Potter should have warned you that magical things happen there - credit cards suddenly appear in hands; yarns jump off shelves and land in your basket; and time seems limitless when you contemplate the myriad projects you are suddenly adding to the already uncountable WIPs and UFOs ....

     
  • At 2:01 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    You could make a lot of nice things with 1 1/8 yard of silk...depends on how wide it is, but you could make a shell or a dressy shirt, or a fancy bag...or combine it with some other cool fabrics to make cool artsy jacket.

    I worked in a fabric store for several years and always hoarded little bits of silk...the scraps are good for applique.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home