Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

trying something new

I started the fast-foot socks yesterday. The new part was knitting both socks at once on circular needles. I have one 28 inch circular and two 16 inch circulars in the appropriate size, so I am actually knitting two socks at the same time on three circular needles. And it WORKS!! I am so fascinated by the process that the socks seem to grow by magic.

Also, I am using yarns selected by Miz G. Usually, purple and orange combinations send me screaming into the outer darkness, but this particular muted shade of purple and this varying hue of dull orange actually look good together! Working with a palate selected by someone else is an eye-opening, horizon-expanding experience and I recommend it to one and all as an annual exercise. Develope your own color sense, then abandon yourself to someone else's once in a while.

I have this theory about our perceptions of color. When we are young, all the rods and cones in our eyes are intact and functioning, and we appreciate subtle difference and nuances in colors. We relish the beauty of a taupe, greige and mushroom Fair-Isle sweater. As we age. the rods and cones tend to wear out just like all the other parts do. (Wait till your estrogen goes away and the collagen follows. Slack skin is SUCH a nasty surprise!) We no longer see colors as well, as acutely as we used to. Remember that dark turquoise and chrome yellow striped sweater your grandma gave you when you were thirteen? To her, that actually looked wonderful. (I love my LOUD sweater again. It fits perfectly and exaults in its own glory!)

3 Comments:

  • At 7:57 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    The socks sound exciting, but the loud sweater even more so. Looking forward to the day when you can get some photos posted, but your writing paints a picture almost as good as a photo!

     
  • At 9:33 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Did I miss something? What is this fast-foot technique to which you refer?

    Most little kids love bright colors, then go off them as they mature, until their eyes start to wear out. Me, I never outgrew them. I don't usually wear orange, lime green or yellow (I don't want to be hustled into an ambulance and carted off to the nearest ER), but context is everything. Goldenrod against the dark pines and the cerulean autumn sky... gorgeous.

     
  • At 7:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh great. As if I don't have enough to grumble about with the aging process! Bad enough my hips don't want to function anymore...now I have to mourn the loss of my rods and cones? Actually, I'm finding it interesting that I am starting to prefer my color mixes just a bit more sedate. Or do I only think the colors are more muted? Interesting point, Roxie.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home