Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

How did my stash get so big?

There’s a magpie in my brain.
I bet you’ve got one too.
It likes the bright and shiny things,
the brand new cars and diamond rings,
the track shoes with the built-in springs.
It always keeps my checkbook drained
and all my bills past due.

There’s a magpie in my brain,
a noisy, greedy bird.
It wants the things it wants right now –
this darling chair, that gilded cow-
so who needs groceries anyhow?
This bird’s impossible to train.
It never hears a word.

There’s a magpie in my brain.
Some say that it’s addiction.
But buying things will bring me peace –
red cashmere yarn, merino fleece
self-striping sock yarn for my niece –
it’s really not that I’m insane,
it’s just a predilection.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:15 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    It really is no wonder, Rox,
    You always think outside the box,
    For no box would be big enough
    To hold your hoard of fibrous stuff.

     
  • At 8:33 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    You're good.

    And Blogger is bad, because it's not letting me comment without a fight.


    I think I've got a mockingbird.
    It tells me what to do,
    'Cuz it sings just like the magpie
    That whispers things to you.

    I think they might be cousins,
    Or sisters, after all;
    Mine whispers about sock yarn,
    And leads me to a fall.

    I can't resist temptation.
    It's quite difficult, you see,
    To chase away the birdies
    That pester you and me.

    Bit they keep us now in stitches,
    And many friendships bring,
    So here's to little songbirds
    That do sweetly, neatly sing.

     
  • At 10:06 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    Roxie - Pat of Pumpkin Knitter steered me to you - I'm an Oregonian toO and we seem to be the same age!!
    Welcome to Blogland!!!
    I actually am coming to the big city this weekend to hang out with my Dad who has just had bypass surgery. I'm coming via Eugene so I can go to the Black Sheep Gathering - that's the plan anyway - a little out of my way since I live in Redmond - but you know fiber!!
    Keep in touch!

     
  • At 5:51 AM , Blogger Sheri said...

    Yup, that poem says it all! When it comes to my yarn stash, there are no other words needed.

    Welcome to blogland and I look forward to reading more poems.

    Sheri in GA

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home