Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Home at last

When we got home, Pepper purred so hard I thought she might come apart at the seams.  She has been my lap companion ever since.  Laundry has been initiated.  Unpacking is sort of started.  We've been through the mail pile.  We both have crummy colds and are at something of a post-climactic ebb.  Kyle got out and about and bought necessary groceries.  I remained in my bathrobe, doing my world-famous impression of seven dwarves:  I was Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Achey, Whiney, and Snot.


I mentioned the decor on the ship.   Here you see the second level of the Bacchus Dining room.  The clusters of "grapes" are chandeliers of lights, each about a foot across, painted mauve and arranged in concentric tiers.  More of the grape lights are festooned across the ceilings and walls.  You can see that the railings have a vine and leaf motif.  The plates feature borders of monochrome Regency damsels --not at all bacchanalian.
Here is one of the ceiling paintings.  I was especially taken with this cherub who evidently has the sun shining out of his backside.  What an unlikely place to put a spotlight!

Disembarkation was quick and easy, and we got off quickly enough to catch an earlier train, so we got to enjoy the ride home in the daylight.
A lot of work has gone into the Seattle train station, dropped fiberglass ceilings have been removed, and former glory has been restored.  It's now a pleasant place to wait for your train or your arriving guests.

In Vancouver, spring was just getting started.  In Seattle, it was in full bloom.  By the time we got clear south to Portland, the tulips are gone and the rhododendrons are in bloom.  The  train ride was exquisite with sun and fat fluffy white clouds, and green fields full of red cows in front of tall white mountains.  I LOVE this part of the world!!
 The Tacoma Narrows bridge.  Right about here, my phone ran out of power.  but there is free wifi on the train so I got to blog and start catching up on everyone.  Boy, two weeks when you are reluctant to use the computer will really put you out of touch!

Rose took superb care of the kitties!  Thank you Rose.  It was so good to know they were happy and spoiled while we were away.





Kate Woodward wanted a fox cowl, so I knit one up for her in exchange for two teacups.  Here are the beautiful teacups she sent me, plus a splendid whie and blue mug, a purple scarf, a pewter leaf-shaped magnet, and two bars of peanut chews.  Oh MY!  Thank you Kate! Those cups are perfect!

4 Comments:

  • At 6:22 PM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    There's no place like home! Hey, do you know I was born in Tacoma, WA?! Glad you like the area.

     
  • At 8:48 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    The Seattle train station looks beautiful!! It definitely sounds like a fun trip. Did Linda travel home with you all? I enjoyed caring for the kitties. Good babies. Good to know at least Pepper missed you!
    Wonder if your fat squirrel did, too.

     
  • At 10:35 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Honey, you have no idea how heartbroken I was to get into Portland and read your post from Hawaii. I even had TWO days when I could have visited… it was just… sooooooo wrong!!!!!!! But you had a lovely time--and I hope you recover from the vacation croup soon. And I swear I'll go back to your gorgeous city sometime soon as well.

     
  • At 5:03 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Nice to have you home again, even if you are sick. Get better, so you can take us on some wonderful walks around town.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home