Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Quickie quilt and finished scarf

One of Kyle's co-workers has a four-year-old nephew who loves race cars and bright colors.  So the uncle commissioned a blankie for Christmas.  The back side is micro fleece printed with Hot Wheels.  The front is - loud.  It was fun to make, and there's lots of left-over bits to cobble together for a baby quilt.

Rose had a party for the lady writer's group.  I was just finishing off my carry around project - a moebius scarf.  And there's Esther in the perfect top to go with it.
It's destiny - Obviously this is her scarf.  Spontaneous Christmas gifting!

(One of my secret pride things - I unvented the seamless moebius scarf.)




Last shipment of rum balls went out yesterday.

Weatherwise, things have warmed up around here so we have rain in the night, and frost in the morning.  Thank GOD we don't live in colder climes.  And in Australia, they are having a heat wave.  It's a funny old world we live in.




Many of my blog buddies are posting memories of Christmases past, making me nostalgic.  When I was a kid, my favorite presents were books and kits to make things.  I never figured out how to play with dolls. My best Christmas memory?  Kyle and I have had so many quiet, intimate, warm and happy Christmasses together that I can't really pick just one.

But, do you other old folks remember the lead tinsel we used to put on the trees?  And how fun it was to wad up and throw at your siblings?

8 Comments:

  • At 8:53 AM , Anonymous benita said...

    My grandparents had the lead tinsel and I thought it was the best for hanging on the tree. It just "hung" better than the mylar stuff.

    Love the quilt!! That will make a young man very happy, indeed.

     
  • At 9:42 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    You always are such a generous person! Bless you!
    I am sure the quilt will be enjoyed for years!

     
  • At 10:03 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    That quilt is fantastic! I love it! Looks like Rose loves that scarf! It's very pretty! Lead tinsel? Wow! That's interesting! I remember that stringy, silvery tinsel but I had no idea there was lead in it. :-/

     
  • At 2:13 PM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    Beautiful quilt! He is going to love it! The scarf is delicious-how neat to get such a gift!

     
  • At 3:22 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I remember throwing lead tinsel at my brother, until we got yelled at. When they banned it I had friends that hunted it down at garage and estate sales.
    That's a beautiful scarf.

     
  • At 4:31 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I remember tinsel but I don't know if it was lead or not. And I didn't wad anything up and throw it at my brother--nothing but footballs.

    Love that scarf!

     
  • At 4:50 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    My parents hated tinsel and we always had a tree with garland. That must be why we load our tree down with tinsel.

    My favorite Christmas memory was actually a Christmas Fail. I found a place in Florida that sold Earth Shoes (remember them? My husband loved them). After much research and phone calls to the newspaper reporter who did the initial piece and then phone calls to the factory, 2 pairs arrived on the 24th. I was so excited and as we were walking down the stairs on Christmas morning, my lovely Elanor said, "Oh look Daddy. Santa brought you Earth Shoes!" Sigh. It's a good thing I love her.

     
  • At 5:04 AM , Blogger Indigo Roth said...

    Okay, so now I'm intrigued about the seamless Moebius scarf!

    And what? LEAD TINSEL?! It's a miracle we ever escaped from the 1960s =)

    Happy Christmas! Indigo x

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home