Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, May 02, 2013

May 3rd-ish?


Yesterday, another day at sea, another day in the room, fighting the good fight against the cold, and counting myself very lucky that a cold is the worst I have to deal with.  One of the passengers experienced a medical emergency, and the American Coast Guard flew a big four prop airplane  two thousand miles out to drop supplies for him (or her.)  The ship came to a halt and lowered its little rescue boat, the airplane made a pass, dropped the package and it landed right next to the boat,  practically in the officer’s lap, and everyone lining the sides of the ship cheered!  Then they waved as the plane flew away.

Not that I saw any of this.  I was in our cabin, snarfing and wheezing.  But Kyle took his camera up on the top deck and got some lovely pictures and movies.  He’s such a prince!

The ship runs a series of movies on a loop every day, two to each of four tv channels.
Yesterday, they were “Salt” a violent action adventure spy thriller; “Jack Reacher,” a violent action adventure mystery: Something with Al Pacino and other vintage guys playing criminals who were supposed to kill each other, “Dolores Claibourne,” a really depressing film about domestic abuse and murder, and “The Muppet Movie.”
Kyle has trouble falling asleep, so he was channel surfing through this selection.  Gotta tell you – it was weird! 

As we head north, the days grow longer but colder.  6 hours daylight and 80 degrees at the equator.  8 hours daylight and 65 degrees yesterday.  In the Carribean, the Coast Guard planes take several slow circles around  the ship every chance they get because the dancers are usually sunbathing topless on the top deck.  There was no  body sunbathing at all yesterday. Too bad for the Coast Guard.

Today is another formal night.  I’m going to try to make it.  For one reason or another, we have missed three formal nights so far, and only made it to two.  I’d like to hit 50% if I can.  I do LOVE formal nights!

No photos.  The satellite reception is so uncertain.  Talk about your first world problems!

4 Comments:

  • At 4:49 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    The Coast Guard are a good bunch of folks. I don't think they get nearly enough credit for all they do. Delivering medicine! How cool is that?

    I liked SALT (but yes, very violent), can't make myself watch Tom Cruise movies-he's a bit weird for me so I'll pass the Jack Reacher movies-the books are good.

    and I would have gone for the Muppet Movie especially if it was the original one. I hope you are feeling better soon. I'd hate for you to miss the last few days because of a stupid cold.

     
  • At 5:45 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    This trip isn't working much for you is it?

    Go DH!! Can't wait to see the video of the plane catch.

     
  • At 9:23 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Maybe next trip should be shorter so less chance of illness or accidents!

     
  • At 11:14 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Hope you are feeling better!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home