Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, February 01, 2013

WHAZZAT??!!

I'm sitting in my recliner with my laptop when suddenly a thunderous rat-a-tat-tat-tat echoes through the house.  Holy crow, is  someone out there with a machine gun?  My heart is about to jump out of my chest and adrenaline has me panting with fear.  There it goes again - from our roof?  Is there some nut on our roof?  Whattinhell is going on?  A third time, brrrat-ta-tat-ta-tat.  The rhythm is familiar.  And then I realize what's going on.  A woodpecker is drumming on the metal rain cap on our chimney.  He's telling all the other male woodpeckers that he's a big tough sumbitch and this is his territory.  I'm perfectly content that he should claim this area, but damn, that noise echoes down the chimney!  Cats are headed under the bed, just in case, and I startle every time he starts in.  Hope he meets a nice girl and settles down soon.

One of the consequences of this hundred-days-cough DH and I have been through, is lingering lassitude. So we haven't done anything worth blogging about.  I have been recording and relishing more TV lately.  "Downton Abbey" is worth rewatching repeatedly.  I'll go through it once just for the hats. And again for the various accents.

 And I am hooked on "Face-Off" where professional make-up artists compete in challenges to create various characters.  I love seeing how they accomplish the technical aspects, and I love coming up with my own characters to meet the challenges.  Last week, they created comic book superheroes.  I came up with Sonic Mama, a sculptress who shapes, textures and cures polymer gel using sonic waves which she produces with a variety of flutes.  Of course, sonic waves can also be used as weapons.  Certain sub-sonic frequencies can make humans loose bowel and bladder control.  There's a good way to stop a hold-up.  Or how about finding the frequency to jam cell-phone transmission so a terrorist can't send the signal to trigger a bomb?  Sonic Mama is middle-aged, terribly artsy-fartsy-Birkenstocky, and she has had her ears enhanced to amplify her abilities, so the character would have great, shell-like ear prosthetics, gray braids, and a tie-dyed peasant dress with an apron of various flutes hanging close at hand.  Think Marvel or DC comics would be interested?


9 Comments:

  • At 8:43 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Maybe not, but it sounds like you have the outline for a killer paranormal cozy series...

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    I can totally picture her. I think you're on to something. I like Sonic Mama.

     
  • At 9:51 AM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    SO glad you're back at the blog today -- plus those creative juices ARE running. I agree, Sonic Mama is a great idea. And perhaps you owe the woodpecker thanks for stirring things up? Keep recovering!!!!

     
  • At 11:15 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Probably not, but Story Studios might be! That is one seriously fun character. I can so tell you are a writer. Maybe you ought to write a book about her. Or at least a series of short stories.

     
  • At 3:34 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Our Rattatatt stayed for over a month. Fortunately he was an intermittent tatter.
    Love sonic mama idea.

     
  • At 11:51 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I would stay up VERY late to read about the adventures of Sonic Mama:-)

     
  • At 4:45 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    She could have small gongs,too. I love a good gong sound.

    We have a neighborhood woodpecker. He avoids the house but seems to love the tree outside my bedroom window. I love hearing him in the morning.

     
  • At 5:20 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Face-off is amazing!

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I like Face Off, too. I do hope you are better soon and plans do not change.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home