Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, January 07, 2013

Yeast can sense your fear

This pitiful thing was intended to be a loaf of rye bread.  My husband has used the same recipe and the same yeast and gotten a five-inch high, lofty, tender loaf.  I somehow managed to produce a two inch thick brick with a pleated and deformed crust that looks rather like a fast-cooling lava flow.  The bread is tasty, and has the texture of the pumpernickel you buy to spread chopped liver on, but it did not rise as it should.   Yeast has my number and knows that I can be intimidated.  Thank God we don't have to rely on me to provide the household's bread.  We would have to eat cake.

In other domestic news, our refrigerator fan died.  We were just three months past the expiration of the warranty, so I guess we should have expected it, but I don't keep track of these things the way I should.  I opened it up on Monday morning, and the contents were room temperature. So we emptied the fridge.  Lots of stuff is in cardboard boxes in the garage where the temperature is cool enough to keep the yogurt from going bad.  Lots of stuff had to get thrown out, because we didn't get to it soon enough.  How long can you keep butter after it has gone soft?

I realized that it has been far too long since I have completely cleaned the fridge, usually making do with a swipe here and there when I notice a spill.  I took out all the shelves, the bins, the bins on the door, the whole magilla, and scrubbed inside , outside, upside and back.  Martha Stewart's housekeeper no doubt does this on a weekly basis, but how often do you completely disassemble and clean the fridge?

So that's what I did most of Saturday, and it wore me out.  Hours on my knees with a toothbrush, getting stuff out of the seam in the back floor of the cabinet.  I may have scrubbed out some caulking - who can tell?  The whole darn box is white and shiny now.  Two more days before the part will be delivered and installed if we are lucky.  Thank God it didn't happen mid-summer.

Ladies' Knitting here on Saturday.  Angelfood cake, gingersnaps, shortbread, tangerines, and chicken sausage in phylo dough.  And chocolate wine.  My niece had chocolate wine at her wedding and it bears sharing!  So consider this your formal invitation and let me know if you can make it.  I have GOT to update the e-mail invites list.

I will not make anything with yeast.  Yeast can sense your fear.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:53 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Re butter: Quite a while

    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Bog-butter-from-3000-BC--found-in-ancient-underground-store-120950094.html

     
  • At 2:10 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    This is so cool, I had t share. let Mickey try it.

    Is ancient bog butter good enough to eat? Recently, some children from Barnderg National School in Ireland tested a 300-year-old lump of bog butter that was found by turf cutters in May 1999 (photo above). The lump looked, smelled, and felt like butter, but the kids said it wasn't very tasty

     
  • At 6:38 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    If the butter is just soft then it is still okay. My parents always had the butter dish out on the counter in the kitchen and never refrigerated it. That was in S. California in a house with no air conditioning. My farming relatives kept their butter in the cellar and brought up when needed. I remember their butter tasted different and was white.

     
  • At 8:41 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Appliances also have a sense of time. They know exactly when to die AFTER the warranty is over. Or the manufacturers program that in. Our very old microwave died. I am sad. And hungry.

     
  • At 4:57 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I am convinced that each little yeast cell has a mind of its own. Sometimes I can turn out the most beautiful loaves and others I could paint and sell as door stops. And I have no idea what I do differently. There was a time when I made all the family's bread. Fortunately, it usually came out ok.

    I would love to come to the knitter's tea. One day I'd like to just show up at your door and surprise you. I'll keep buying those lottery tickets.

     
  • At 5:20 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I need to clean out my fridge, but I don't want it to die in order for me to do it.

     
  • At 10:32 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    It's funny. I have no problems with yeast. It's plain old cookies that are my bugaboo. All my cookies come out like rock cakes - emphasis on the rock part.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home