Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, January 03, 2013

January the 3rd

 On New Year's Day, it was bright and sunny so DH and I participated in an urban 5K walk.  If it had been bucketing down rain, we would have stood in bed, but as is usual this time of the year, a fierce east wind is howling down the gorge, bringing cloudless days, and nights cold enough to freeze the ears off a wooden Indian.

Here we are at the Portland waterfront in front of the old fire station.  Waterfront park is a block deep band of trees and grass that lines the West bank of the Willamette river in downtown Portland.  It's like the city's front porch.
And here we are next to the working sternwheeler steamboat.  They take cruses up and down the river with meals and entertainment laid on.  You go for the view and the entertainment.  The meals are pretty pedestrian.

I am dressed in multiple layers and found the practice quite effective.  As you see, the windbreaker layer got shed.  The scarf around the throat kept my neck from chapping, though it was soaked by the time we finished.  I have a polypropylene shirt under the silk/cotton long-sleeve t.  I never thought I would wear synthetics next to the skin, but by golly, it sure does wick wonderfully!  I never felt a bit of chill in spite of 40 degree temps,and the chap-your-cheeks wind.  I'm wearing two pairs of gloves, and a microfleece ear band under my hand knit wool hat.

Back in the wild old days of the city, loggers and sailors used to wander around enjoying the sights.  When they got thirsty, the only thing they could do was go into one of the many saloons and buy a drink.  A city founder, Mr. Benson, frowned on the drunkenness thus fostered, so, at his own expense, set up drinking fountains all through the city.  Here I am taking advantage of a Benson Bubbler, still providing free fresh water to the thirsty citizenry.

He also built fountains where you could water your horses and dogs as well.  Not so many horses and dogs in town, so most of those fountains are gone now.


So with the new year, I have no resolutions to share.  Yes, I want to get more exercise, but I don't yet want it badly enough to get off my broad backside and do something.  Yes, I want to lose weight.  But the fridge is on the fritz and that soft butter soaks into hot toast so deliciously.  And there are all those chocolates that people gave us for Christmas that will get stale if we don't eat them soon.  Not to mention that today is the Feast of Sumptuous Cakes and I have to do SOMETHING to celebrate.  Maybe a trip to the cupcake shop . . .

Remember, as we go through 2013, there is always something to be grateful for.  A dry, warm house or  a dry safe bed or even one more breath in the dark.  I remind myself that no one is dropping bombs on me, and I'm not pregnant.  Life is good!

8 Comments:

  • At 9:25 AM , Blogger LA said...

    Good for you! What a great way to start the new year with the 5K walk! I agree: we have a lot to be grateful for!

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Sounds like a great way to start the new year. But, I'm not nearly as brave as you when it comes to walking around in blustery cold weather...layers or not. I don't even like to ski when it's windy or snowing...only on sunny clear days. What a wimp I am, huh?! lol Thanks for the bit of history on the Benson bubblers and fountains. That's interesting. Best wishes for a wonderful 2013! Life is good! :-)

     
  • At 10:01 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Yes, life is good when you can still drink from a Benson Bubbler. Growing up, I thought that all cities had lovely free drinking fountains.
    A bit of history--the main reason Benson frowned on the drunken loggers was that he was the logging co. owner and his absent loggers cost him too much in lost labor and thus lowered production.

     
  • At 2:10 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    "Feast of Sumptuous Cakes" What a wonderfully official and royal sound. It rolls through my thoughts like an old friend.
    My village has not been pillaged, I have butter for my bread, and a warm dry bed.
    I am and will be grateful.

     
  • At 5:05 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Kate made her first jelly roll style cake for the Feast. It came out beautifully.

    What a gorgeous sunny day you had. We are having a run of lovely winter days here. Sunny and cold (although sometimes a bit on the windy side). I love it.

    And oh, I have so very much to be thankful for, starting with you. You make me glad to know you.

     
  • At 5:17 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I missed the Feast of Cupcakes? Guess I'll need to make up for it.

     
  • At 10:38 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Isn't standing in bed as bit risky at our age? (Smile.)

     
  • At 3:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As long as you're not pregnant! The walk sounds delightful and I plan on partaking in such adventures in the coming months. Love the Benson Bubblers, even if they are designed for pygmies.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home