Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, December 31, 2012

last day of 2012


 It's so nice to have the laptop back.  There is a limited amount I can do on the cell phone. Probably due to my limitations, not the phone's.  But in the interim, I did get more hats knit.  Hats for toddlers get too-big-to-swallow buttons for eyes.  On the purple one, I used white buttons, then picked up a 99cent bottle of purple nail polish and painted in the centers to look more eyelike.  The black buttons are sewn down with silver thread.  And the stripy hat is a skein of self-striping sock yarn plumped with a skein of white sock yarn of mysterious content from an estate sale.  The eyes, which don't show well in the photo, are green sparkly buttons.  I don't really need the pattern to knit fish hats at the moment.  Anyone else want a hat while I'm on a roll?

 For Christmas, my newly married niece gave me some beautiful, soft blue yarn spun by her new MIL.  I knit myself a happy, cozy cowl, adding in just a bit of dark blue alpaca at the end to make a ruffle.  I loves it!  Thank you , Cheryl and Deb!

A thing DH and I love to do is to go to grocery stores out of our area and peruse the selections.  The Asian store is a treat!  The Russian store is a source of awesome teas and chocolates. There is a store down in the industrial area that has the best butchershop in town.  Oh, the sausages we find there!  Last time through, we picked up Daffy's Delight which is duck meat with wild mushrooms, some chicken/basil sausage, a kielbassa and a pound of home-made sauerkraut, and a classic venison with sage sausage. We've got some serious feasting ahead of us.
We also enjoyed checking out the beer cases.  I was especially amused by "Santa's Butt" beer and "Bad Elf" ale.  There's some "Mutant Bastard" porter in the case, too.  Lots of small breweries in Oregon.  Some people call us, "Beervana."

So, the Mayan alpacalips has come and gone, and we still seem to be here.  Right this minute, it's next year in Australia and Japan.  Time is whistling past my ears, as the tempo of my life slows down.  DH and I will spend a quiet night at home, probably nibbling cheese and crackers, sausage and fruit.  I may start a jigsaw puzzle which I see as a metaphor for life.  Except in real life, of course, it's a 30million piece puzzle, you don't have all your pieces, although you have many pieces that don't belong in your particular puzzle, there are no edges, and the colors keep changing.  A jigsaw in a box is so comforting.  And it will hold my attention long enough for me to stay awake till midnight.  On the other hand, we may just turn in as usual and wish each other happy new year when we wake.

Regardless of which side of the meridian you are, may 2013 be a year filled with pleasure and satisfaction for you. Rejoice!

11 Comments:

  • At 9:27 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Have you kept count of how many fish hats you've made? You've sure made a lot of them. I showed hubby this morning and he loves them. I'll have to find that pattern and make one. Maybe I'll get addicted to them too. ;-) Wow....the shops near you sure sound yummy and fun! We'll be spending a quiet evening at home too. I love your metaphor about jigsaw puzzles. Very thoughtful and well said. Best wishes to you and your husband for a wonderful 2013!

     
  • At 11:07 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Happy new year Roxie. Your hats are wonderful!
    Cindy says I have way too many funny hats. It's OK if I disagree with that.
    Find joy.

     
  • At 11:32 AM , Blogger LA said...

    Happy New Year, Roxie!!! All the best for 2013!

     
  • At 4:59 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Happy New Year Roxie! Can't wait to see what 2013 brings :-)

     
  • At 8:19 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Happy new year!

     
  • At 9:25 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Goo question from Cheryl, how many of them have you knitted?

    Sounds like you are having a relaxing New Year's Day. I hope your whole year is a peaceful and contented - with great food and drink to spice it up. :)

     
  • At 11:41 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I am rejoicing-- especially that I have a chance to catch up with my friend, Roxie, who blogs about a life of joy and graciousness, and who loves bright, bold colors!

     
  • At 2:02 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Happy New Year! My email is down again so contacting you this way to wish good times and good health for you in the new year. Enjoyed the dinner and celebration Sunday.
    I hope you like the gifts. Enjoy them.
    The creamer is from England when I went there in 2000 compliments of the in-laws. Bless you always!

     
  • At 4:56 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    My brother's family all decided they liked the fish hats so I'm going to dig through the stash and find some of the brightest yarns I can find and make them each one (after I make a dozen small Christmas trees for Emily. She wants to give them out as party favors and being the Mom I am, I said I would help).

    Happy New Year to you and your wonderful DH. May the new year bring you happiness and peace and joy and may all the pieces of your particular puzzle be within your reach.

     
  • At 5:18 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Too bad you don't live closer, Grilltech makes some of the best beers.

     
  • At 10:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Joy to the fishies in the deep blue sea! Love that you're a prolific piscis producer. May the following year be full of blessings for you and your family.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home