Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, August 25, 2012

State fair

DH and I went to the state fair today.  I always enjoy the chickens and the bunnies, the women's building, and the vendors selling choppers in hoppers and Sham-wows, but things were really sparse this year.  I heard there was a major foul-up in the management, and people weren't able to  get their entries processed.  Hope they straighten things out by next year.  I wanted to put things in this year and never heard from the management.

But we enjoyed what was there.  Here's a picture of an over-achiever in the chicken barn.  Just had to show what great layer she is!











I got four new pearls. One black, one silver and two pink.  The lady who sold us the oysters told me that I was one of her favorite customers every year because I was so enthusiastic.  Aww, shucks.


We strolled past the rides and activities and I went for the human hamster balls.  No one else was playing when we showed up, but after I spent ten minutes falling down and laughing my ass off, the kids were lining up for a chance to try.  I never did manage to stand up, but OMG it was fun trying!









You don't quit playing when you get old.  You get old when you quit playing.




























Of course every year they come up with a new deep-fried delight.  Would you believe deep-fried Doctor Pepper?




You can't beat the classics, though, and since I've been eating wisely lately, and getting lots of exercise, I feasted on funnel cake!  Fried dough with cherry pie topping - oh, yes!

11 Comments:

  • At 7:38 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Too bad about the management glitch. But, it sounds like you had a really fun day anyway. Those human hamster balls look like a lot of fun. Were they hot inside? I love what you said, "You don't quit playing when you get old. You get old when you quit playing". I SO believe that! Mmmm...the funnel cake looks yummy...even though I've been eating healthy too. ;-)

     
  • At 10:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The picture of you in the ball laughing is my most favorite one of you ever! Too bad the new management didn't get everything squared away in time for entrants to show off all of their wares. I imagine that the whole process is quite the undertaking. Cheers!

     
  • At 12:06 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    The hamster balls look like so much fun and the funnel cake scrumptious. Looks like a fun day!

     
  • At 10:11 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Oh YUM!!! Funnel cakes!!!!
    I would have loved to have seen you rolling around in the hamster ball! Next time you should dress as a hamster!!! LOL

     
  • At 11:39 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Oh the state fair! I love it! And do you remember? That's where we first met.

    You obviously were having too too much fun in those human hamster balls!

     
  • At 5:09 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I can't quite wrap my head around deep fried soda.

     
  • At 11:29 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I loved fried dough. I'm not so sure about the Dr. Pepper, Pepsi thing. I have to agree with the hamster balls though. They look like more fun than should be legal.

     
  • At 12:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We were there from 10 to 9. How could we have missed each other? Probably because I didn't have the guts to get in those gopher balls. You're a wild woman Roxie Rue.
    I agree everything was sparse this year, entertainment, vendors, even the Dancing Dachshunds didn't show up (Nor did the Sheriff's K-9s, but I understand they were busy arresting someone.) I didn't see the fried Dr. Pepper. I may have to make a trip down again, just to try that.

     
  • At 3:07 PM , Blogger Tara said...

    Roxie, these pictures have made my WEEK.

     
  • At 9:59 AM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Hamster balls = Hilarious

     
  • At 10:31 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    omg-- funnel cake is our favorite too!!!! And I love the hamster balls. Mostly, I love to see the little kids in them!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home