Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

County Fair

Yesterday I took my 2 dozen cookies in a decorated box and entered them in the "Contain Your Cookies" contest at the county fair.  Since it's a people's choice contest, I won't know how I did till next Monday.  No worries.  It was fun to enter. The theme was "Fair sights, Midway lights and rodeo nights."  Someone built a two-foot tall ferris wheel with a kid's construction set, with cookies on every seat.  The base of the wheel was set between Leggo construction barns and corrals with horses, piggies, sheep, and a couple of cowboys.  The cookies were works of art, too.  The competition was extreme.

In the knitting department, though, the contest was much easier.  I got a red ribbon for my goldfish hat (second place), a white ribbon for my sweater entry(third place), and a yellow ribbon (5th place) for a scarf.  Blue ribbon in scarves went to a cobweb weight lace confection that probably took three months to produce.  It was awesome!  I think I'll start a competition basket to stash finished projects that turn out nicely.

Yesterday was Kid's Day.  Kids got in  free.  I almost didn't make the deadline for submitting my cookies because I had to wait at the entrance to the parking lot while the Learning Tree day care decanted about 30 kids who had to be corralled and walked safely across the street, followed immediately by the YMCA Summer Day Camp with about fifty kids.  Small crazy people in red t-shirts and yellow t-shirts swarmed all over the place.  Swear to DOG, I will never be a day care worker! The whole fair was hip-deep in kids, and the poor farm critters were all cowering in the far corners of their pens. There's a limit to how much sticky-fingered poking even a hog is willing to endure.

I wandered around and enjoyed all the sights and took no photos because the best shots were too fleeting.  The 4H Goat peeing nonchalantly on the judge's shoe.  The tall, handsome young cowboy(maybe 16) in snug, beat up jeans and a tank top, straw hat set square on his head, carrying a bunny cage for a much younger boy, smiling down at the excited little guy who was telling him all about the judging.  The Rodeo princesses in their crowns and sashes, shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops, sharing a sundae in the shade of the Dairy Wives booth.  It was a warm day.  Those dairy wives were selling cool treats as fast as they could scoop them out and take the money.

And then there were the baby pygmy goats, about the size of chihuahuas and so cute and frisky that you could hardly stand it! They were playing king of the hay-bale and the crowd around them was so thick that I had to stand on tiptoe to get a glimpse.  It's not often that you get a clot of people in the goat barn going, "Awwww!"  I'm surprised some hollywood starlet doesn't keep a baby pygmy goat as a pet.  Totes adorbs!

I stopped at the Pioneer Village, bought my annual supply of Laurelstone soap, (handmade, and the only soap I have used on my face for 20 years.) And my annual indulgence of kettle corn.  I strolled through the art displays. (Our county has a gifted young welder doing astoundingly beautiful sculpture)
and through the kitchen cupboard competition.  People go to an astounding amount of trouble to make their entries pretty.  Pickled asparagus spears all exactly the same size lined up inside the jar alternating stem up, top up, perfectly green and beautiful.  Pickled beets sliced into identically sized coins and layered into the jar in pretty spirals.  Green beans - how many green beans do you have to go through to get a jar full of beans that are all exactly the same size?  I ain't entering any canning or pickling contests.  I don't have the eye for persnickety detail.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:40 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    What a fun post! Your stories and descriptions paint such vivid pictures that I feel like I went to the fair. Congrats on all your ribbons and good luck with your cookie entry.

     
  • At 8:59 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    No photos of my favorite soap lady?? Waving to Laurie!

    At our fair last week, the animal in residence was 3 to 1 piggies. I guess pigs bring in more $ than goats or lambs around here.

    I'll have to ask my sil if their friend won the pickle contest again. He's a pickle fanatic.

     
  • At 9:20 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I have never been to the county fair, but now I have with you!

     
  • At 7:41 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Wow Roxie, I haven't been to the fair in 15 years but you paint such wonderful word pictures I can smell the kettle corn. Congratulations on winning the ribbons. Your fish hat was beautiful.

     
  • At 4:42 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Our county doesn't seem to have a fair (I've tried to find it online but have been so far unsuccessful). The state fair is way up in the northernmost county, several hours away and you have to drop off any submission in person the week before the fair. I thought about entering something just for kicks but that put me off. Gas is too expensive to justify the trip twice in two weeks! I think they should have the fair near the state capital which is in the middle portion of the state.

    Your fair sounds just about perfect.

     
  • At 7:59 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I don't go to the fairs too many herds of wild children.

     
  • At 10:22 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Pigmy goats are the cutest critters!! And I'd love to have seen the goat peeing on the judge's shoe - rather like a scene out of the movie Babe.

    It sounds like you had lots of fun, even if you did have to share it with all those kiddies. At least they were easy to see over, right?

     
  • At 10:58 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    wow, sounds like there are a lot of intrepid knitters and bakers in your area! congrats on placing so well with your knitting, you did great!

     
  • At 9:57 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I'll have to be on the lookout for pygmy goats trotting down Hollywood Boulevard.

     
  • At 10:47 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh, what a lovely experience you draw with words!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home