Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Bridge




I I made it to the top!  Didn't realize I was standing with a marquee behind me so it looks like I'm wearing an asian hat.  It's my usual grass sunhat with a couple of pink leis bedecking the crown.
They were a whole troupe of drummers, just whaling away on these big drums, and the very air shook as they danced and played.  It's a coed troupe, and everyone has muscles and smiles.  It was so inspiring and energizing!  We could hear them from the second bridge as well.The walkers were a rather friendly group.  There were two guys walking alongside us who were very good natured.  They were taking a lot of photos of one another and after a while I teasingly started to edge into the shots.  They thought it was funny.  By the time we got to the top of the bridge, one beckoned me over for another photo op, so I bent over and kissed his cheek. He laughed and said, "I'm going to send this to my mom.  She'll be so pleased to see me with a girl."
The route back took us through a rather up-class urban neighborhood.  An older couple were sitting on their front patio, she enjoying a cup of coffee, he, watering the flowers.  I greeted them with a cheery good morning and complimented their potted plants. The guy sort of glared at me, as if I were a panhandler. DH laughed when we got out of range and said, "He looked like he was going to spray you with the hose."  Heck, I was hot and sweaty.  I had nearly asked him to do just that.  
About 5 blocks before the end, I hit the wall.  My yogurt was burned off and I had to do the very last of the 6 mile stroll on will power.  But the "One More Time Around Marching Band and Drill Corps" was there to greet us, blaring out "Louie, Louie" while the 50 year old baton twirlers performed and a trio of gray-haired angels with yellow pompoms  cheered for us.  That was SO reviving!  
As we crossed the finish line, there were young people handing out ice cream bars, energy bars, and bottles of vitamin water.  And then I saw it - three tables full of boxes of day-old doughnuts.  I considered grabbing one in each hand and racing back through the crowd screaming,"Donuts!  OhMyGod,they have do-nuts!"  But then I realized that could probably cause a stampede, and I still didn't have enough oomph to run, so I restrained my enthusiasm.  By the time we got there, only one apple fritter remained.  A guy and I reached for it simultaneously, then both snatched our hand back at the same time, saying,"Oh, you take it." I laughed and said, "It looks like more than I can eat.  I'll split it with you."  He grinned and grabbed one side, I grabbed the other, and we tore it down the middle.  
DH and I drove to Kornblatts Deli and celebrated our success with our favorite.  He had a pastrami reuben,and I had a bowl of matzoh ball soup.  It was HEAVEN!  Now we are home, playing on our computers,and basking int he feeling of a walk well done.  Now if I could just figure out how to make this screwy underlining stop . . .  

9 Comments:

  • At 4:12 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Sounds like a fun and interesting morning! :-)

    I was wondering why you've had underlining lately. But, I kind of figured it had something to do with Blogger. I've been having so much trouble with it the past month or so. It does strange things that I never ask it to do. Sometimes, I spend more time fixing a post than actually writing it. Good luck!

     
  • At 6:14 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I had no idea there was a walking portion of the bridge pedal. It sounds like a lot of fun.

     
  • At 8:13 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I can help you with the underline and the bold lettering...when you are in the area to compose your blog post, you will notice to the left the word compose. Follow that line to the right and half way across you will see B I U. Notice the B is bold and the U with line under it. You have the U highlighted which will make all you type be underlined. You also have the B highlighted which make all lettering bold! Click on each to turn them off. TA DA!!!!

     
  • At 10:15 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Bridge walks=great memories.
    What do all the drivers do about getting across the Willamette?

     
  • At 5:09 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Grilltech walked across those bridges, long ago and far away.

     
  • At 9:33 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I swear you are the coolest person I know. One day, girl, I gotta meet you in person. You are so full of the joy of life.

     
  • At 7:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your walk sounds delightful, in spite of the grumpy old man and the lack-o-donuts. I love that you shared your pastry (by rights it was yours)with a complete stranger. The sights you saw were beautiful and one of these days I'll head down and try something like that too. Cheers my friend!

     
  • At 4:46 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    What a cool day. They closed the Ben Franklin Bridge for an afternoon to celebrate it's 75th (I think) birthday. It's an odd thing to see people walking where there are usually only cars. They close half the bridge for the Phila to Shore MS bike race in September. All those bicycles!

     
  • At 10:48 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    That is such an awesome event-- and good on the two of you for participating!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home