Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hat

I didn't know how far the pink yarn would go, so I started with seven stitches on my dp needles and increased seven stitches every other round until I had 90 stitches on the needles.  Then I knit plain till the pink was used up. Changed to purple, added two stitches, and did k2,p2 till  the purple yarn was almost used up, and bound off. There was enough purple yarn left to close up the original 7 stitches and embroider a little purple button on the top.  Easy peasy, slick as greasy.

I took my lunch outside in the shade yesterday.  Then I lay back in the lounge chair and appreciated the warmth. Along came old Fly cat and before I knew it, he had spread himself like a fur comforter across my neck and chest, and lay there purring like 15 pounds of jellied contentment. Clearly it was time for my master-level relaxation training.    I did my best to become as boneless and serene as an old cat on a warm day.  I think I'm getting pretty good at it, but I can't be perfectly sure, because I fell asleep.

Our garden patch has yielded one zucchini. I found a recipe for chocolate zucchini cake with cinnamon.  It should be illegal.  DH will be taking it in to the locusts at work tomorrow.  I am gob-smacked at the ease of discovering the perfect recipe on the net.  Life didn't used to be so easy. If you wanted a chocolate zucchini cake recipe, used to be you had to invite Mary Margaret over for coffee and while you were chatting you had to serve her your caramel apple coffeecake and she would ask for your recipe  so then you could ask for hers and you'd better be sure to have paper and a pencil right handy. Then, if the fates were favorable and Mary Margaret was feeling particularly mellow, she'd write down her famous chocolate zucchini cake recipe for you and if, IF she really liked your coffeecake, she might just remember all the ingredients and the proper amounts. Then, when she went home,you would make a trial cake right away to see how it turned out. And you had to make sure to note in your file that it was Mary Margaret's recipe and be careful not to use it for any event where she might be bringing a cake because it would be SO rude to bring her special cake someplace she might bring it as well.  And you can't share Mary Margaret's recipe with anyone else in town, but maybe you could share it with your sister-in-law in Missoula and your cousin in Eugene, but maybe you'll change it just a little so if they ever serve it to your family, yours will taste better.

Do you remember any of the other rules in the cake games?

5 Comments:

  • At 4:44 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I knew better than to ask for some recipes. I love the fact that I can search for recipes based on an ingredient (such as patty pan squash) that I get in the farm share. Otherwise, I'd have no idea what to do with some of this stuff. I do't believe in secret family recipes and will freely share anything including the family babka recipe (handed down lo these many generations......)

     
  • At 8:03 AM , Blogger sophanne said...

    I must confess I was totally ignorant to the rules of recipes. That I rarely cook may be part of the reason. in fact people have "forced" recipes upon me-I made an extra copy for you and I haven't really known what to do with them!

     
  • At 9:56 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    I love how easy it is to find recipes online. Sometimes I even consider throwing out some of my many cookbooks because the internet is so much easier and I rarely use most of the books I have. I've been pinning lots of recipes on my Pinterest boards too for quick and easy access when I find ones that look yummy. Do you use Pinterest?

     
  • At 10:39 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I never knew there were rules. I guess I probably broke them all without even knowing it!!

     
  • At 11:57 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The only thing worse than showing up with the same cake as someone else is wearing the same dress. o.O

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home