Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, July 23, 2012

And then . . .

The Jersey Boys was a wonderful experience!  It was the story of the Four Seasons, how they started on the streets of New Jersey, how they rose to fame, how they lived and changed.  Rockin' tunes from our past, quick, skillful acting, inventive sets and the fastest costume changes I've ever seen.  All the female characters in the play are portrayed by 4 four girls in different wigs.  The story was funny, poignant, and even-handed.  And would you believe it, Frankie Valli is still performing!  He's in his 70s now, and he's still belting out that sterling silver falsetto.  "Sharrie , Sharrie bay-bee . . ."  The guy that played him has an awesome voice all his own, and owned the part!

The show got out at 4:30.  We had reservations at Flask and Beaker at 5. We feasted! We had three "small plates" and 3 "large plates, and we shared them family style.   I tried to watch the diet, but when they brought out the small plate of seared beef, I threw self-control out the window!  Something about the smell of cooked beef drives me mad with hunger.  The service was engaging, cheerful and so helpful.  The wine was superb. The food was fabulous, but OMG expensive!  It was the most FUN time!

And then, Sunday, DH and I got up at8, did the grocery shopping, then drove to Oregon City to join MJ and RW for brunch.  A much simpler and  MUCH more reasonably priced meal at HighCliff (I think)  We just kept sitting and chatting and drinking coffee/tea and enjoying ourselves.  It's a great way to spend a lateSunday morning.

And THEN, hours later I was getting hungry again, and DH told me to wait, because we were going out for dinner.  He spoils me so!  He took me to the Ringside FishHouse for our anniversary dinner.  As of today, we have been married for 18 years.  We spent 5years together before that, and it has been the happiest 23years of my life.  The fish house offered a good selection of oysters but OMG - $3 per single oyster?  I should have taken the plates, shells and silverware home at that price. Still, I have a new favorite. Shigoku oysters from Washington state are a culinary experience I am thankful to have lived long enough to try.  I had 3 of them.  And the Ringside's famous deep-fried onion rings.  And trout almondine.  And, because it was our anniversary, the restaurant gave us a couple of cookies for desert.  DH had the prime rib.  It was such a contented, happy dinner!

Now, I have to go back onto the diet wagon.  Oh boy - carrot sticks and raw apples.  Yay.  Wish me luck.  It took me about two months to lose 10blbs, andI probably packed half of it back on this weekend.

It was worth every mouthful!

9 Comments:

  • At 1:46 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Sometimes it's good to forgot the diet for a day or two.

    Happy aniversary!

     
  • At 4:30 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    As long as you enjoyed every bite, what the h_ _ll. Trout!!! Yummy!
    Congratulations on the happy anniversary!

     
  • At 8:16 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Happy Anniversary to you! Ours was last week, so we share a similar date for anniversaries as well as birthdays.

     
  • At 12:41 AM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    Happy anniversary! Sadly for my waistline, I say no to diets! I'd better have a strong word with myself soon!

     
  • At 3:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Happy anniversary! It sounds like you did a month's worth of celebrating in one fun-filled weekend. AWESOME! Hope you enjoy another 18 wonderful years together.

     
  • At 5:12 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    If you're going to blow a diet, that's the way to do it. I've been fairly good lately and fit into a pair of my "middle weight" pants this morning. Yay for having clothes in three size groups!

    Happy Anniversary. When you marry a friend, life tends to be happy.

     
  • At 7:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It sounds idyllic -happy anniversary!!!

     
  • At 9:40 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Happy Anniversary from us as well - I still remember well that hot day in the back yard and worrying as the Italian Meringue buttercream slowly melted...but I was proud of those cakes and still feel touched that Kyle asked me to bake your wedding cake!
    Congratulations, and much love.
    You got it right.

     
  • At 8:34 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    You do know how to celebrate in style! A very Happy Anniversary and many more to come.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home