Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Zucchini

Now we enter the time of the year when stray zucchini begin roving the neighborhoods.  You might go out one morning and  find a strapping young zucchini cuddled in with your morning paper.  Bags of small zucchini will ring your doorbell, then sit there trying to look appealing when you open the screen.    You can tell if someone has no friends at all if they are in the grocery store buying zucchini.  You learn to lock your car in the church parking lot because if you don't, turgid green cylinders will show up on your backseat while you're attending the service.  

This year, we succumbed to the siren call of the hardware store racks of vines and bought two pumpkins, and a zucchini.  Here you see our one incipient pumpkin, keeping company with our first zucchini. I grated that sucker up and made a chocolate cake with it.  Yum!  After the photo session, I took said cake off to DH's workplace and begged the jolly lads to eat it so I wouldn't.  They appeared to be willing.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:52 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Brilliant, chocolate Zucchini, wish I could eat it.
    In my first garden I planted 6 zucchini plants. Never did plant more than 2 after that. They make great targets, and they work in spud guns too.

     
  • At 4:18 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Yum! That cake sounds so good!

    I wish we'd grown some zucchini this year but we never got around to it. Might not have worked anyway. We suddenly seem to have squirrels and they won't even leave tomatoes for us. We see beautiful tomatoes when they're green but before they're red and ready to be picked...they're gone. Grrr!

     
  • At 4:24 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I bet they are willing to eat almost anything! Men love food!!

     
  • At 5:36 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I think I must have been amiss as a mother since I mentioned zucchini bread and one of my daughters had never had any. I have some young ones from the farm share this week and they will be made into bread on Sunday. I'll just tell Pk it's spice bread and he'll never know. Come to think of it, maybe that's why Kate didn't think she'd ever had it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home