Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, July 15, 2012

weekend!

Saturday was warm and pleasant, and we had tea in the back yard.  Curried chicken salad sandwiches, carrots, sugar cookies with bacon-flavored frosting, cinnamon meringues, lemon flavored and glazed mini cupcakes, and chocolate shortbread buttons sandwiched together with Nutella.  Also clementines and cantaloupe balls.  We had a splendid time even though there were only 8 of us. The bacon cookies were quite popular and I may do them again.  We drank hot tea, hot coffee, iced tea, iced peppermint tea, lemonade, and cucumber water. Pat mended three items of apparel for her daughter.  I just about finished a kid's hat for Med Team Intnl. Moma was working on a pretty scarf, and wore the gorgeous mauve linen top she knitted last summer.  LG  is just a few rows away from finishing her baby surprise jacket.  Linda A was wondering what to do for her daughter's 50th birthday. I suggested male strippers, but was vetoed.  That's OK.  I don't even know Linda A's daughter It's not like I would have been invited to the party anyhow, so I don't care if they have strippers.

Sunday, DH and I rolled out and tried a breakfast place suggested by Carol -   Genie's.  Forty years ago, Genie's was the sort of bar where they swept out teeth on Sunday mornings after the Saturday night fights. The windows were painted black on the inside. It was what we call an animal shelter.  There were a couple of winos who lived in the blackberry  bushes out back.  But that was then, and the neighborhood has gone much up-scale since then.  Genie's is bright, clean and cheery.  They serve a damn fine brunch with real, honest  food and decent prices.  Add to that, they have pretty good coffee and cheerful service.  We will definitely return.

Our plan was to have breakfast, then go for a walk. But a weather front moved in last night, and it was raining when we finished breakfast.  Well, this is Portland.  If you don't walk in the rain, you don't walk. So we went home for our slickers then set out to walk the Esplanade, a trail downtown that meanders along both sides of the river, with access to all the bridges.  (Portland is a very green sort of city. The river front is public, scenic, and clean.)  After about twenty minutes though, we realized that what had seemed like a like mist was actually a penetrating drizzle.  Our rain jackets had failed in their duty, our saturated pants were clinging to our thighs like wet newspaper, our shoes were squishing, and my hat was leaking an occasional cold drip onto the crown of my head.  So we cut our walk short and headed home.  That's when we started encountering super heroes.  First we saw two young women dressed as Batman and Robin with fluttering capes, jogging along the path.  Then Superman trotted by. Then a family with the 4 year-old dressed as Batman, Dad in a Superman t-shirt, Mom in a Captain America t-shirt, and a darling little re-headed cherub in a pink sweatshirt and cape who I assumed to be Hello Kitty!  The infant in the stroller was just an infant in a stroller as far as I could tell.  Evidently, someone was doing a superhero fun-run.  We saw Wonder Woman and Catwoman, Flash, Green Lantern, King Neptune,  and various caped crusaders that we couldn't identify.  Lots of families with little kids.  I cheered for every super hero under four feet tall, and they all smiled and waved.  Super heroes are wonderful that way.  It warmed the very cockles of my heart as the rain soaked through my my clothes to my underwear.  By the time we got to the car, I could wring out my socks.  My, it was refreshing!

We got home, peeled off the wet things, and jumped into the hot tub.  Steam rose from the surface of the water. Rain made rumbly sounds on the roof.  Squirrels ran through the branches and cursed us, and little birds feasted in the feeder that DH has fastened closed with a bungee cord to keep the squirrels from opening the lid and stuffing all the birdseed into their cheeks.  Life is good.

8 Comments:

  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Wish I could have attended to taste the yummies. My friend, Sue, happened to come up from Roseburg to visit so on Saturday we took almost 4 year-old Brogan to an event here in Oregon City and he had a bast while we old ladies wilted! I bet it was nice to relax outdoors in the fresh air listening to birds sing!

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Where do they post about supper hero fun runs? I would go to watch if I knew about it. What a fun thing to stumble across.
    Rain gear almost always fails in the rain. It works fine in the closet. I've never had it leak in the closet.
    I switched to wool. It leaks but who cares, it's still warm.

     
  • At 10:20 PM , Anonymous Janette said...

    Your tea and sandwiches in the backyard sounds wonderful, as all your knitting gatherings are.

    What a fabulous fun run to watch! The kids would have loved to have joined in, especially as it involved superheros.

     
  • At 4:41 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We had the kind of rain you can walk in on Saturday, gentle and warm. It upped the moisture level in the air astronomically. On Sunday night, the rain came in complete with lights and sound. Lots of it. First time we've had real rain in weeks and although it's now even moister than before, it feels good. Everything was so dry.

    The party, as usual, sounds wonderful. Did you use the bacon flavored syrup to make the cookies?

     
  • At 6:28 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    We got a bit of rain on Saturday evening. It was lovely.

     
  • At 7:04 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    http://www.katu.com/news/local/Superhero-Fun-Run-Vera-Katz-Eastbank-Esplanade-162516996.html

     
  • At 2:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I know comicCon was going on in San Francisco, did Portland have their own version. Why do I never know these things. I've always wanted to go somewhere dressed in costume. If my legs were longer, I'd be that Tomb Raider gal.

    Darn. Bacon cookies. How can that be beaten?

     
  • At 10:32 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Go, small superheroes! That really is delightful!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home