Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

spin, span, spun, and dyed

Here's that pound of alpaca randomly dyed up.  We had a rice-cooker that was burning in spots, so we got a new one, and I appropriated the bad one for my dye experiments.I'm having a lot of fun pouring one color in on one side,  another color in on the other side, and letting them blend as the heat goes moves through them.  Blue on one side of the pot, pink on the other,on top of beige fiber.  Each skein is a different mix, so I would have to use some technique of knitting from two or three balls to keep from getting clearly defined lines,but that's no problem.  But what to knit, what to knit?  Scarves?  Shawls?  A sweater?

Well, I'm still working on knitting through the odd balls in the stash, so while I do that, I'll let this percolate and see what it wants to be.

Saturday, the July ladies' knitting soiree will be here.  If you didn't get your invitation, let me know.  I'm going to serve ice tea and lemonade, hot tea and coffee, curried chicken salad sandwiches, muskmelon balls, lemon cupcakes, chocolate shortbread, and little sugar cookies with bacon-flavored frosting. ( That bacon syrup is really sooo good!  I just shipped a bottle of it to a baking friend in Australia today and I look forward to good reports from the nether side of the globe.  )  I hope to be able to host it outside, if the weather holds.  Y'all come, y'hear?

11 Comments:

  • At 3:33 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    OH! Beautiful fiber!

    I use an old crock pot for 'cooking' my dyes. Works great.

     
  • At 8:18 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Love those colors. Can't wait to see what you make.

     
  • At 10:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your colors are fan-freaking-tastic! You are a fast spinner too. I'm not much of a maple fan, but you've gushed so about this syrup that I'm insistant on getting some now. Can't wait to see what you decide to make with the beautiful yarn.

     
  • At 10:43 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    maybe it can be a lacy little over- skirt

     
  • At 5:05 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Love the dye job.

     
  • At 5:33 AM , Blogger Maggie said...

    What lovely purples! That will be fun to knit!

     
  • At 7:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I don't know whether or not to be grateful that I don't live closer to you. Actually it would be more like a whole moving in/adoption thang. ;)

     
  • At 3:33 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    That spread sounds amazing! I haven't been able to spend much time knitting lately, but I did go on a crochet binge over the weekend to use up some of my odd balls. Blue and purple seems much more you than beige. You are just not a beige person.

     
  • At 6:09 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Not a sweater, because alpaca grows and grows and grows, but they would make lovely scarves and depending on the yardage of each, you could either knit one half of a scarf with one and the second half with a different skein, so what comes over the shoulders is in the same color family, but are different or knit a scarf from each and come up with several different looking scarves that sorta, kinda match. And being alpaca, they will be warm.

     
  • At 2:32 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    I don't think you need to horse around with switching balls. Noro makes yarn like that on purpose, charges a bundle and it's not nearly as soft!

     
  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    That yarn is spectacular-- and such lovely shades of Roxie Violet!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home