Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, July 01, 2012

Experiencing a different culture

Our favorite breakfast restaurant has a new owner and it's just not the same any more.  How can you honestly have a breakfast without ANY pork products?  Turkey bacon is not what I consider a treat.

So DH and I have been searching for a new breakfast place.  Today, we tried the Delta Cafe and Bar.  It's in a collegiate neighborhood which might account for the "artistic" leanings.  I don't know if you have to be tattooed to work there, or if you have to work there a certain period of time before they give you a tattoo, but the waitresses show more ink than many bikers I know. And our fellow patrons - if you need colorful characters for your next work of fiction, well come on down!  The woman with the echoing, glass-shattering laugh and the hairdo that looks like it might have baby birds in it.  Or the skinny young woman in the short shorts and the long sweater who evidently  suffered from a severe case of snake-leg.  She was sitting on her left foot, and had her right foot tucked up next to her meatless cheek on the chair.  I thought of asking her what she would do if she ever stepped in gum, but she was displaying for her young man, and probably wouldn't have known what I was talking about.  There was a dishwasher - blonde, 6ft2 or so.  Maybe 120lbs, with a beard about 18 inches long and braided.
There was the guy sitting right across from us who came in, slammed down a bloody Mary with celery stick, asparagus, lime wedge and salt on the rim, ate everything, including the lime rind, and left.  Breakfast of champions.

Anyhow, the food was quite good.  If I ever hit my goal weight, I'm going to go there and have a basket of beignets - fried dough with LOTS of powdered sugar.  DH had chicken-fried steak.  Good steak, but too much rosemary in the chicken gravy, and too much vinegar in the collard greens.  I had the "SE Standard." One egg, two slices of bacon, and a slice of toast.  It came with grits. I think I kind of like grits.  The bacon was crisp, not greasy, not burned.  And the egg was a perfectly acceptable poached egg.

Prices were good, service was pleasant and attentive, though the food took a long time to show up.  We'll probably go back for another try.  I like collard greens for breakfast.



I've finished another sweater.  This one done with Lorna's Laces wonderful wool.  All garter stitch, so it was easy to pick up the center panel knit sideways.  I may add pockets.  Oh, heck, who am I kidding? I have to add pockets.  What's the point of having a sweater without pockets?  It's many shades of purple,violet, and plum, and just cozy enough for outer wear on July the first in rainy Portland.

In fact, while the rest of the nation swelters and burns, we had the kind of day that makes you want to stay inside and bake peanut butter cookies.  So I did.  It makes the house so warm and cozy.

10 Comments:

  • At 6:40 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I have been told that this restaurant has a good breakfast but have never been myself:
    http://www.sanbornsbreakfast.com/location.htm

    And this one was recommended as well, and again, have not been:
    http://www.broderpdx.com/menus/breakfast-2

    Here is another and was told their french toast and a Bad Ass sandwich were really good:
    http://www.toastpdx.com/brunch.html

    I am told this place at Portland Farmers Market is really good and they also have a location in SE Portland:
    http://www.pinestatebiscuits.com/menu/

    Another one is in SE Portland:
    http://www.zellscafe.com/breakfast_menu

    And last but not least, I am told this place has some unique kolaches to try. Check them out and let us all know!
    http://www.happysparrowcafe.com/Menu.html

     
  • At 10:03 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I checked out the menu online. It sounds great.
    http://www.deltacafepdx.com/
    Your pictures don't embiggen anymore. Do you shrink them before posting?

     
  • At 4:43 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Yes, sweltering is the word but I braved the heat to make empanadas for the family to eat while watching soccer.

    Our garage floor has our initials in it, too. What is it about wet cement that makes you want to leave your mark? I think because it looks permenant.

    I love the color of your sweater. It really suits you. I'm not sure what I'd do if our regular diner closed down. We went to a new place on Friday night and we were the youngest patrons there.

     
  • At 4:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Turkey bacon is decidedly not a treat; especially not for the turkey ;)
    Your new restaurant sounds wonderful!! I love people watching and this sounds like a magnet for the most interesting people.

     
  • At 5:10 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    We go to different places and Grilltech has to try their chicken fried steak.

    The sweater is awesome. Love the colors.

     
  • At 7:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This sounds like the kind of restaurant I can't take my girls to for fear of them gawking openly at the colorful patrons and employees. Discretion is not a strong point for my brood. The sweater is fabulous, but when you have the opportunitty some closer, detail pictures would be much appreciated. The weather is supposed to warm up for the Fourth of July. Just in time for the Ridgefield pie eating contest, parade and fireworks. I love this holiday.

     
  • At 11:43 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    The idea of wearing wool in July just boggles the brain - we broke to heat records last week - two days in a row over 100 degrees in June. Yuk!

    Can you show a close up of the sweater so we can see all the colors, please?

     
  • At 7:02 PM , Anonymous Patricia Lichen said...

    My condolences on the loss of your beloved breakfast spot! I know how you and DH enjoyed it!

     
  • At 8:07 AM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Sometimes there can be cheese grits. I like them too!

     
  • At 10:25 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    That is a lovely sweater... nom... the yarn looks luscious !

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home