Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Roses

LG and I went to the Heritage Rose Gardens today.   Roses sort of grow like weeds in this area, but the Heritage Gardens have some awesome varieties.  like blue roses.  I know, "blueroses" sounds like a lung disease.  But aren't they beautiful?
The garden has a long,long arbor overgrown with climbing roses.  There are benchesalongthe inside ofthearbor.  I can imagine being in there on a hot sunny day, ready to swoon from the intensity of the perfume.
They had miniature roses with blooms the size of a quarter, and  others the size of a salad plate.  They had climbing roses that wove themselves into the nearby trees and threw heavy white trusses of blossoms a hundred feet high. They had roses that were one color in the bud and another color when they opened.  They had old-fashioned cabbage roses and hybrid tea roses and rugosa roses which people in Scandinavia grow because they have colorful hips that can be brought into the house for something fresh and cheery in the middle of winter.
 And they have elegant, simple wild roses in their five-petaled classic beauty.  

We walked and sniffed, sniffed and stared.  Small birds chirped and tweeted all around us, and LG no doubt wished for her binoculars.  Swallows swooped low over the rose beds, and though the day was overcast and windy, the rain held off until we were ready to break for lunch.  We picnicked in the car, cozy in the warmth and that wonderful feeling when  the rain is pounding down outside, and you are safe inside with someone you enjoy who brings out your best side.

Make new friends, but keep the old.
One is silver and the other is gold.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:07 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I adore miniature roses!!! One year, when they went to 75% off after Mother's Day, I bought enough to fill two half whiskey barrels in front of my house and they bloomed and grew all summer long. Wonderful!!!

     
  • At 10:58 AM , Anonymous Tree Service New York said...

    I laughed so hard when I read "blue roses? Sounds like a lung disease" Their beautiful. I've never grown a blue rose, did you know its actually possible to grow a rainbow petal rose? I swear, they're mind blowing. Google it.

    -Carlos Hernandez

     
  • At 12:21 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    So sorry to miss the outing - I was looking forward to it. Instead I spent the day at the ER of the new Emmanuel Children's Hospital.
    Good news is, the almost 4 yr old(Aug.)doesn't have meningitis. Bad news we don't know what caused such severe neck pain with fever, and some folks other than Gram (TW) are critical of Mom for not just ignoring it till it went away. (No insurance.)
    The folks at the NARA clinic and Randall Children's Hospital sided with Mom and Gram and were taking it very seriously, but tests and Xrays all came back normal. I'm wondering about some sort of influenza. She perked up in the early evening, after some pediatric Vicodin and a long nap. (Works for me...)
    Keep Azi ( child) and K.K. (Mom) in your prayers, please.

     
  • At 2:29 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    I've never seen roses in that color before. Wow! Looks like a fun place to visit.

     
  • At 1:05 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    The Rose test gardens are so beautiful and I so enjoyed the time you took me there and to the neighboring Japanese Gardens.

     
  • At 11:50 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I think the roses were one of THE most enchanting things about your lovely part of the state. You cover them so much better than I did!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home