Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, June 09, 2012

Knitter's tea

 It's the second Saturday of the month and the ladies assembled again for tea.I made angel food cake and dressed it up with a vase full of peach rosebuds that matched the peach tablecloth. And even though our glorious Hood berries are not yet available,I made do with ordinary strawberries in a pretty footed compote.  Angelfood cake with fresh strawberries is ambrosial!
For cookies I made macarons with the hazelnut meal left over from the hazelnut rum balls.  Not a good idea.  There may be too much fat in hazelnuts.  Anyway,the macarons did not bake up to light and crispy bites but turned out substantial and hazlenutty.  So I spread Nutella between the cookies to make sandwiches with them. A fail, saved.  Everything is good with Nutella.

I also made some lavender and rosemary shortbread, and shared a few green tea mochi because I've never tried mochi and this seemed like a good time to experiment. They didn't exactlyring my chimes.

For sandwiches, I made a cheese spread with cheddar, parmesan, and a teensy bit of wasabi jack cheese, and paired it with sliced ham on pumpernickel bread.  They were quite tasty.
We were quite a small gathering.  Of the ten guests that had responded to the invitation, three actually showed up.  One called to let me know she had car trouble.  And I guess everyone else just had better things to do.  But those who arrived had a splendid time and we feasted happily.

I know that people in the rest of the country are having summer now.  This is the sky outside at noon.We might get up to 65 degrees today.  It's still raining in Oregon.

7 Comments:

  • At 3:10 PM , Anonymous Patricia Lichen said...

    Imagine missing out on the lovely noms! But hey, I made out like a bandit with the leftovers I brought home!

     
  • At 5:46 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Yesterday morning I woke with sniffles and by the time I got home after work, my nose was dripping like a leaky faucet, my ears hurt and a cough was every few minutes. So I am in bed resting up and hope to be well by Monday. I would have shown up otherwise as first Saturday with no plans!

     
  • At 6:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I fantasize about attending your lovely teas, but alas, seldom do the stars and planets align between my world and yours. I love green tea Mochi... which is a little odd considering that I usually eschew eating all things slimy and slippery. If not for the fact that it would morph into a chore, rather than a joy, you could open your own tea house. They have one in Ridgefield that I'd like to take you to sometime. I've yet to attend myself, because the hours are selective and the reservations go quickly. I'm sure that it can't hold a candle to your soirees though. Give your DH a big squeeze from all of us crazies to the north and enjoy your Sunday walk/brunch.

     
  • At 7:12 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Cozy weather, great food, great people, and knitting....what could be any better?! Sounds like a wonderful time!

     
  • At 12:55 PM , Blogger mplanck said...

    You do know how to torture a stay-at-home. Even the photos are good enough to eat! Oh yummy, you are a hostess supreme! Alice

     
  • At 4:42 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I read your description of the parade and it sounds like July 4th in Philadelphia. Hundreds of thousands of people jam every street and sidewalk to watch the fireworks. It's crazy crowded. There's not enough money in the world. I'll stick with my small town display (unless they cancel again this year due to budgetary constraints)

    And as usual, your tea looks just beautiful. Presentation is half the appeal.

     
  • At 12:21 AM , Blogger Maggie said...

    I am totally going to rip off your idea and host a knitter's tea! I don't know many knitters, though. Maybe it'll have to be spinner's tea... Maybe just for fiber addicts. That might get me more guests.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home