Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, April 27, 2012

Starbucks in Honolulu

The ship docked at 8AM and DH and I got off in search of a WiFi hotspot.   He noticed a girl carrying a Starbucks cup and asked for directions.  And two blocks later, we were set with free WiFi and iced teas.  So now I can post a few photos from the trip.  Like this luscious sunset over the ocean.

One thing I have noticed on this trip is that the waves sound different out at sea.  I finally figured out that waves on the shore are throwing stones and shells and sand around and it makes noise.  The bow wave from the ship is just a swish of water.  Yeah, you can hear the engines, too, but you can shut that out and imagine that you are on a sailing ship, coasting across the Pacific, listening to the hiss of the wake and the hum of wind in the rigging.  Except for the scurvy, rats, weevils, floggings and miserable food, it would have been an idyllic life
DH in his dress shirt and slacks, leaning on the rail and watching the sun set.  By the time we arrived in the islands, the weather had gotten warm enough to linger on the verandah, breathing the clean air and wallowing in the sunshine.  I took advantage of the privacy in the back of our verandah and did my sea-bird imitation, letting my boobies flap in the wind.

The warmth brings out the summer and resort wear among our fellow passengers.  The skinny 80year old guy in the shorts and tank top, with his fish belly white legs, sunburned knees, and hairy shoulders is a fit mate for the grandma in the fuchsia, turquoise and orange muumuu.  I may get myself a few muumuus.  They are so kind, so forgiving, so comfortable.  They permit air circulation, provide shelter from sun, and present a palate for all your favorite colors.
Here are DH and Bucky and I under the world's second biggest banyan tree in Lahaina.  You may wonder at my unusual stance. My knees are buckling under the weight of an immensely self-satisfied sheep.  He was SO please to be able to publish his account, and is already working on the next one.


Here is Bucky waving farewell to lovely Lahaina.  He flirted outrageously with pretty shop girls and pretty much made a nuisance of himself, trying to get out and skip around in the sunshine.

And I am sort of making a nuisance of myself now.  I've been catching up with other people's blogs from the last week.  He knew I was going to be at this for a while, but I don't think he realized how LONG a while it would be. As we got off the ship this morning, DH bought me a beautiful lei with plumeria and purple crown flowers.  I have been swooning with delight at the fragrance.

Benita, I will drill my pearls and add them to the necklace I have been working on for years.  Every time we go somewhere that I can buy an oyster, the eccentric necklace grows.

Photos of the fat quarters Asian print fabrics?  When we get home, I'll do it.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:05 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    As the cold has suddenly really hit us here, I am even more envious of your fabulous trip. Thank goodness I can live vicariously through your posts!

     
  • At 4:41 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    What a gorgeous sunset. I have photos of my grandparents on one of their trips to Hawaii that always makes me laugh at the 70's.
    My grandparents are wearing white pants and brightly colored Hawaiian shirts. My grandfather has his tucked in and he wearing a white belt and white bucks! They were so cute.

    You and Kyle look so much more normal.

     
  • At 5:17 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    That water is very blue.

     
  • At 12:05 PM , Blogger mplanck said...

    Roxie, I'm finally catching up to a few blogs! Feeling good too. I love your travel logs for us who are house bound or otherwise on terra firma. So happy you and DJ are enjoying all the whispers of a more romantic world away from the daily rounds of domesticity. :-)
    Alice

     
  • At 5:05 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Look at those cool, funky trees! They look like they have tentacles rather than trunks.

     
  • At 8:05 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Hooray for internet, and flirty sheep, and Roxie's lovely travelogues!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home