Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Who knows first aid?

TW hosted Knitting this month.  We celebrated "Butter Week" which is the Russian equivalent of Carnival. We had tea cakes (of course) and pate' and dark rye bread with butter and honey and Russian Caravan tea and deviled eggs with smoked turkey in them and then TW cooked us buckwheat blinis with cherry jelly.  So much for the diet!

We ran out of coffee, so TW  dashed downstairs to find more and in her hurry, stumbled and tore her thumbnail loose.  Pat, bless her heart, is a scout leader and so was elected to do the first aid since all scout leaders know and practice first aid all the time, right?  She graciously formed a bandage from part of a napkin and neatly tied the thumbnail back in place.  TW took some painkillers, and the party continued.  We bussed the table and did the dishes and put the food away for TW, so she will likely finding things in all the wrong places for days, but it beats having to wash the skillet with a  wounded thumb.  As usual, we laughed and talked and sang and had a grand time.  Sue is going to preach a sermon on the seven deadly sins.  Lynn, Jenny, Maggie and I burst into, "The Seven Deadly Virtues" from Camelot and did a surprisingly delightful a capella impromptu job.  We even remembered all the words!

Toward the end of the party we were discussing memorable weddings.  Sue remembers one where the groom worked at a funeral parlor, and most of the ushers worked there as well.  The best man passed out from heat and/or hangover, and the groomsmen all lifted him up to shoulder height as if her were in a coffin and carried him out of the church.  That makes for a memorable wedding.  Outdoor weddings are attended by sound effects (Flatulent cows and chatty horses) uninvited visitors (yellow jackets invading the reception buffet, a crop-duster working the field next door, neighbors' dogs and kids.) I remember when DH's brother got married in Las Vegas.  Of course they process wedding through just as fast as they can, so you arrive on time and wait while the folks before you finish up.  The chapel they had chosen had several halls which were all busy, so you could check out the other weddings while you were waiting for yours.   Picture the groom, a tall, handsome african american man, in a chrome yellow suit with a white shirt, a purple tie, a white fedora, and chrome yellow anaconda skin shoes.  The brides maids wore show purple satin cocktail dresses that looked spry-painted on, and from the back, the three of them looked like a bunch of purple helium balloons.  They carried purple and yellow bouquets and all had two-inch long yellow fingernails.  The bride wore a short white gown with a deep neckline exposing gallons of coffee-colored bosom that surged and rippled like a vat of pudding every time she moved.  Her nails were purple, and her eye-shadow was yellow.  Oh, and her shoes - yellow anaconda, just like the groom's, only with four inch heels.  One does not forget  a show like that.  I felt quite colorless in contrast.

So what might be your most memorable wedding?

9 Comments:

  • At 4:39 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I was at a wedding recently that had a vintage circus theme. The bride was dressed like a tightrope walker with a parasol, and the groom like a ringmaster. There was pre-wedding entertainment in the form of mimes, clowns, and a magic show, popcorn, cotton candy, and a sexy sideshow at the reception. And a bounce house, of course, in which we all jumped around until we were laughing ourselves silly.

     
  • At 6:52 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Mr sophanne and I nervously drank coffee as we awaited the appointed hour at the justice of the peace. The honorable Judge Culpepper ( pronounced with a Yosemite Sam accent in my head) performed the civil service and his secretary witnessed. I doubt that anyone noticed our matching Carhartt jeans. Best. Wedding. Ever. No muss, no dysfunctional family fuss, just two people deciding we were going to be there to count on each other til death do us part.

     
  • At 9:25 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    I don't get asked to many (or various)weddings, I guess. No flamboyant or disastrous events in memory. 1 major wedding memory was that of my older cousin - I was perhaps a soph. in high school - I made scores of mints and decorated each one with a piped rosebud and leaf. My aunt and my mother kept giving out verbal invitations to the meal back at the family farm after the church reception - didn't count up how many folks had been invitied till abou 2 days before, bringing on a frenzy of cooking. There were 5 refrigerators - 1 in each house, 1 in the garage which was the men's clubhouse, and 1 in the old milkhouse-washhouse where the 3 freezers, wringer washer, and dryer were. After the meal we found several platters that had never been brought in, so no further cooking had to be done for a day or two. My brother said he was worried I was going to faint at that wedding - but I was just wobbly because the shoes I had as a bridesmaid were the first actual high heels(as opposed to what we called "kitten" heels) I had ever worn.
    Your wedding was very nice, Roxie, except I was continually aware that the buttercream frosting on the cake was not-so-slowly melting, it being in the 90s that day.(I made the small wedding cake, readers.)
    No napkins were harmed yesterday in the making of my bandage, btw. I'm fond of the the grandma aka Tom Sawyer bandage - strips of clean old white cotton wrapped and tied around the injured digit. My grandmother saved old sheets for this purpose - I also save old cotton knit fabric, mostly to polish silver, but it works well for this purpose as well, except you have to cut it as opposed to ripping it. Apparently I can type without my right thumb - sort of. Lucky I am not a texter!
    I had a pate and black bread sandwich for supper. Leftovers are good.

     
  • At 9:31 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    And thanks so much for the clean-up coordination! So far everything is right where I would expect it to be, and several of you learned that I cheerfully put silver flatware in the dishwasher - even Martha says that's ok! (In fact,I didn't realize anyone thought it wasn't.)
    Passwords are geting weirder - and harder to decipher!)

     
  • At 5:24 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Sounds like a fun gathering. I hope your friend's nail is feeling better. Ouch!

    Wow! What a colorful wedding! Such a vivid description! I don't think I know any stories that can top that. My brother got married in Vegas once and I was amazed at how impersonal it was. And, then, all the Elvis'. His reception had an old guy playing the accordian and singing to everyone and seeming like he thought everyone just loved it when he'd come close and sing directly to them. He was wrong! lol Definitely not my cup of tea for places to get married.

     
  • At 4:59 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I tore the nail off my pinkie once so I can sympathize. It hurts like the dickens but eventually, the skin toughens and the nail grows back.

    The trend to have adorable young things be ringbearer/flower girl was in full swing when we got married in 1981. My 4 year old nephew had our rings tied to the heart shaped pillow I had made out of leftover material from my wedding dress (which my mother and I made). He took one look at the crowd and threw the pillow (with the actual rings) into the air and ran to his mother.

    My sister who was the Matron of Honor, just quietly stooped and picked it up on her way down the aisle and I didn't even know about it until at the reception.

     
  • At 7:52 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    My own. They skipped the music before the ceremony so that while I was finishing getting ready, I hear the "Here Comes the Bride" music. Then the church forgot to turn on the mics so no one in the audience heard us say our vows. Then the minister got lost part of the way through - and started the vows all over again. Then, the minister told my mom (not sure he realized he was speaking to the mother of the bride) that he only gave us a year before we were divorced.

    Nearly 27 years later, Scott and I still wish we had just eloped. Needless to say, the minister's prediction was way wrong. And, we never went back to that church again. After attending there for a few years, we were appalled at how we were treated and immediately started looking for a new church.

     
  • At 12:50 PM , Blogger mplanck said...

    What wonderful comments your blog readers have left behind. Wish I could have been there for that gala festival and to hear that rendition of the 7 Deadly Sins, one of my favorite songs from Camelot. :-) Alice

     
  • At 7:29 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    We were outside in a park-- a Baha-cut VW Beetle kept going back and forth on the street nearby--I'm thinking it was on purpose after the last pass--as the pastor was talking. Feh-- we had a good time anyway.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home