Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, June 20, 2011

God, it's good to be home!

 It's been quite a while since I've been to a highschool graduation.  This one was held in a covered equestrian pavilion, open to the breezes.  There were only 200 or so graduates in this highschool.  The most important one is under the mortarboard centered under the balloon arch.  I got a shot of the back of his head as they were processing in.  The school had armed security guards who spent most of their time asking people not to stand in front of the people sitting in the bleachers, even if they DID get better pictures of their kids that way.

Here is a profile of the man of the hour at a party held in his honor at a restaurant.  The happy face at the bottom of the photo belongs to his mom.  There are also a couple sisters, an uncle, and at a table by themselves, a slew of young nieces and nephews of his.  Lessee, my nephew's nephew is related to me how?  A second cousin twice removed?
Here is the father of the graduate with the youngest niece of the graduate.  The little cherub has grandpa firmly twined round her finger.
It was an education to me to watch life's rich pagent at this graduation.  Some families really dressed up, with pappa, grandpa, and all the uncles in suits, and nice dresses on all the ladies.  Other families looked like they had just come from a photo session for the people of WalMart.  White is lovely for summer.  Colored panties show through white skin-tight capris.  And, as DH remarked, it's nice to see that the plastic surgeons in So.Cal are still doing a booming business.  Real women don't have coconuts right under their collarbones.

We spent most of the rest of the weekend at a dead  run.  If we weren't spending time with family, we were on the way to or from spending time with family.  And occasionally we returned to our hotel room to fall down and sleep.  But it was a good trip, and all the visiting was quite enjoyable.

On Sunday we were joined by Father of the graduate and the graduate, (henceforth to be refered to as FotG, and G) and flew back up to Portland.  Again, the security people wanded my cast, and this time, they also scanned it. Hey, the have the little x-ray thingy.  They may as well use it. FotG has pins and plates and got a careful pat-down, but the TSA people were very polite and professional, and by the time DH and G had gotten their shoes on, we were done. I never felt my privacy invaded in the least.

The flight was awesome.  Clear and smooth.  And OMG it's good to be home!   The cats are pissed at us and will not forgive us till a few meals have been delivered.  And our guests keep remarking on how green it is.




6 Comments:

  • At 7:13 AM , Blogger LA said...

    What a lovely (lively) outing at the local Outback!!!! I'm very happy that the TSA treated you with respect! Congratulations to the graduate!

     
  • At 8:35 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Congrats to the graduate! Glad you had a good time. Even though I grew up in Pdx, I still marvel at the green when I go for a visit. SO different from here.

     
  • At 4:56 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    You'll be lucky if the cats forgive you! All these upheavals.

    Graduations are interesting as are family weddings. One of my brothers in law showed up for an evening wedding in jeans and a polo shirt. Only he could get away with that. I just bought a pair of white shorts that offer less coverage than I thought so I am pulling out the long t shirts to wear with them. No one needs to see my Fruit of the Looms.

     
  • At 5:19 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    You know cats, always plotting.

     
  • At 7:44 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    What a handsome young man! Oh to be that young again and have a whole lifetime full of mistakes and wonders...

    The kitties will be back to regular after a day (usually one night is enough).

    Glad that there were no incidents regarding the TSA. I've not flown in years, but some of the stories are horrendous.
    Enjoy the visit!

     
  • At 7:52 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    OH, you naughty staff member, you HAVE been gone a long time. but it sounds like a lovely day for you and dH--sometimes family really IS a rollercoaster, and you've survived!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home