Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Sunday afternoon

The most soporific two words in the English language are "Sunday Afternoon."  DH and I are loungingin the unaccustomed srping warth on our back patio.  He's reading the paper.  I'm lollygagging my way through blogs, and trying to identify various lawnmowers by their song.  To the north of us is the manly, full-throated throb of a Briggs and Stratton.  Across the street, the modest hum of an elderly Sears electric.  From the next block, two John Deere's are competing for the interest of a weed whacker and ... what's that?  Can it be?  I never thought I'd hear that again but I guess that, like the bald eagle and the timber wolf, they are making a comeback from extinction.  There's the alluring "whick, whick whick.  Whickwhickwhick whick, whick." of a reel mower!  One of our tree-hugging liberal neighbors is actually putting his beliefs into action.  I feel like taking him lemonade and cookies! 

We, on the other hand, use a gas-guzzling, air pollutiong Honda.  But we make up for it by not using it too very damn often.  With the spring we've had, you pretty much had to put the lawn mower on floats.  Run it over the low spot in the yard and the engine floods out.  Not that I'm complaining.  Rain is nothing compared to tornadoes, snow storms or brush fires.  And this morning I rejoiced in one of the delights of living north of the 45th parallel.  The sunrise wanders around all year long, and today I saw that it's shifted well to the north!  In the winter, it rises south of Mt Scott. (a local alluvial mound.)  Summer, it shifts clear north of it.  For some reason, the fact that sunrise brackets the hll over the course of the year just pleases me no end.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:53 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I can always tell the season by where the sun is in relation to the roof of my house. It's much more overhead right now and moving more and more each week. In only a few short weeks it'll be straight over head and I'll have more sun in the front.

    I love the words Sunday afternoon. Throw the word Sunny in there and it's just about perfection.

     
  • At 7:36 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    There were a few lawn mowers going Sunday afternoon in my area as well. I did plant some flowers, insted of mowing.

     
  • At 8:47 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    See-- we have the same lawn mowing philosophy--except we actually use an electric mower because, well, our lawn is really really small.

     
  • At 10:57 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Okay, I just tried to edit a comment I had on "preview" and Blogger ate it.
    Mt Scott, like Mt Tabor where i reside, is a cinder cone, part of the Boring Lava Field system. No jokes from out of town, please, we've heard them all. My girl K.'s mom, who leaves in the environs of Boston and is considering a move out here, worries that Mt. Tabor will erupt. She also is concerned that the great tsunami will engulf SE Portland. Lots of Outlanders believe the Pacific Ocean begins just the other side of the West Hills.
    Nice paraphrase of Henry James ("The most beautiful words in the English language are 'simmer afternoon'") Presumably he meant in England, where anything over 75 degrees F. is considered a heat wave, and not his native New York.
    I'm going to post without a preview - call me reckless...

     
  • At 6:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh dear. Clearly I was reckless to post without an edit.
    Peace be upon Henry James, the phrase is of course "summer afternoon". I guess I was thinking of those 90 degree+ days with high humidity and thus got "simmer".
    Have fun on the cruise! Surely there are knitting needles somewhere in San Diego!

     
  • At 6:27 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Did my last comment truly get saved? SUMMER AFTERNOON. Not simmer.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home