Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, April 23, 2011

T is for

Taking Charge: DH and I were out for dinner, and I had to go to the ladies' room.  There was a line.  The gal in front of me had a baby and was waiting for the handicapped stall which had a changing table in it.  When a regular stall opened, she let me go ahead of her.  She was still waiting when I stepped out, the line behind her was longer, and I could hear little girls giggling in the handicapped stall.  So I rapped loudly on the door and said, in a deep, gruff voice, "Is there a grownup in there with you girls?"  A little voice said, "No?"  So I said, "Well quit goofong around and  get done in there.  People are waiting."  Then I went to wash my hands.  Two little girls (8 and 10?) came out of the handicapped stall and headed for the door back to the restaurant.  "Wash your hands." I ordered them, "Oh, sorry.  I forgot," said the little one, and as I left, they got in line to use the sink.  Good girls!  They just needed a grownup to take charge.

Saturday, we picked up new cabinets for the kitchen.  We are adding more storage and counter space.  DH worked like a trooper all day long, and now our new cabinets are installed!  With shelving above them.  It's so cool!  The cabinets are unfinished, so I have a project ahead of me.  And how do I finish the butcher-block tops?  Suggestions?

8 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Good on ya!!!

     
  • At 10:14 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Kids alone in a bathroom make me nervous for their safety. Too many bad things out there. They need an adult to keep them in line and safe.
    Good for you for taking charge.

     
  • At 10:36 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Surfaces that are used for edibles are always a problem but mineral oil will add nice look. It has to be re applied frequently but it's just like taking care of cast iron. Oil it and walk away. It's a non drying oil.
    Most drying oils look good but (tung oil, linseed) take days to dry and are either toxic (tung) or can impart a very strong odor (linseed)
    Wax is used and it works fast and looks good and needs to be cared for frequently. So many choices.

     
  • At 7:33 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    I have no idea what to finish your butcher block top with... I'm curious to read the suggestions and see what you decide to go with. Good job in the bathroom.

     
  • At 12:05 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Roxie, I can just picture you taking charge of those girls. No doubt you made an impression on them.

     
  • At 5:45 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Good ole' mineral oil is the best for anything that will be touching food. It makes the wood look beautiful and hides all the scratches and cuts.

     
  • At 9:47 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    I'm with Tim as to mineral oil on the butcher block. It won't go rancid as vegetable oils do, including linseed oil. Rancid oils smell and are very unwholesome.
    But since I gather it is counter top, I'd suggest treating it as a decorative surface and NOT actually using it as a cutting board. It won't stay attractive under such use, however you treat or maintain it. And cleaning it, assuming it is countertop, is an issue. No good suggestions there. Goggle it!

     
  • At 4:23 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    My mom has a big butcher-block table, and she used something called "Salad Bowl Finish" on it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home