Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, April 29, 2011

sigh - entropy wins in the end.

I have had this belt since I was fifteen.  I love this belt.  I wear it at least once a month.  At least!  For 46 years I have worn this belt at least once a month.  There were periods when I wore it almost daily.  I have gotten my money's worth out of this belt.  And yesterday, when I took it off, it fell apart in my hands.  DH is a machinist.  He knows about metals and repairs and how to fix things.  He tells me that it's "pot metal" and can not be welded.  Oh sigh!

 My dear old belt has passed.  Every thing breaks or runs down in time.  Entropy wins in the end.  I will love DH for several millenia after the sun has collapsed to a cold cinder, but infinity is long.  In time, our very atoms will be recycled in the cosmic mixmaster.

Now there's an interesting thought.  Wonder if I'm using anything that once was used by Atilla the Hun?  A few oxygen molecules? a trace of carbon?  Or maybe an iron atom in my blood once tarnished the sword of Ceasar.    "I'm unstable because some of my calcium once belonged to Rasputin."  Beats, "The dog ate my homework.," as an excuse.

Some things last though.  I went to the dentist today for a cleaning.  Except for four wisdom teeth that proved to be superfluous to requirements in my early 20s, I have all the original equipment.  And they tell me that I'm good for another six months.  Woohoo!  I get to keep my teeth!!  That's  cause for celebration.  Beertender - floss for the house!

7 Comments:

  • At 6:07 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I LOVE your steadfast belt. Is there anything fun you can do to recycle/repurpose those wonderful hands? Congratulations on the good check up. Teeth are good! That atomic philosophizing has me just a little bit overwhelmed. Deep thoughts indeed. Cheers!

     
  • At 7:18 PM , Blogger LA said...

    So sorry about the belt...that's really a nice buckle!!! And hoo-ray for a great dentist appointment! A good reason to celebrate!

     
  • At 8:31 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    As to the mishmash of molecules, I don't know but you must at least be breathing the same air.

     
  • At 10:39 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Maybe you can make a piece of jewelry from it. Or use it in a wind chime. Recycle in a creative way!

     
  • At 7:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    What about crazy glue?

    I need to go see a dentist ... I'm sure that I have a cavity and I know that not having it confirmed does not mean that it does not exist. Or does it?

     
  • At 7:38 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Sorry about the belt.

     
  • At 8:50 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Even Hamlet mused about the possibility of Alexander's dust stopping a bunghole in a cask of ale. And, alas, I would be so very sad at the passing of that belt.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home