Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, April 28, 2011

X is for

XYZ which stands for eXamine Your Zipper - a coy way of warning that the barn door is open and the stallion's running free, or, to put it more prosaically, your fly is open.  Now this, frankly, is the sort of thing I want to be told, by anyone, as soon as it's noticed.  Do I have spinach on my teeth?  Has my deoderant failed me?  Is there toilet paper stuck to my shoe?  Please, please, tell me right away.  Don't let me wander around with my hem tucked into my pantyhose while the general public laughs and mocks me.

Assuming that other people would rather not flash in ignorance, I am quite unembarassed to walk up to total strangers and say, "Your blouse might have some slippery buttons.  Did you mean to show that much?"  Or, "Sir, your fly is open."  I also offer mints to people with bad breath. 

So what is the other side of this?  Would you rather not know?  Would you prefer that I politely ignore that shred of jerkey stuck between your teeth and waving at me each time you laugh?  Should I try to find a more tactful way of saying, "You have baby puke all down your back." 

And have you ever had to tell someone to XYZ?

8 Comments:

  • At 4:47 PM , Blogger Rose said...

    I had never heard that term! I do prefer someone politely and quietly informing me of what might embarrass me. Things do happen sometimes that we are unaware of until too late!

     
  • At 6:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I tell people when they're "flying low" or if they have something in their teeth. I'd want to know ... otherwise you get home at the end of the day & wonder how long you've been walking around like that!!

     
  • At 7:11 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    As a public school teacher I get many many opportunities to quietly help them remember how to dress themselves. Better to know than not know. Have I mentioned lately how much I enjoy your writing? Because I do.

     
  • At 6:41 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I've told people - quietly. Or had someone's wife tell them.

     
  • At 7:43 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    I always try to tell people of such issues. Sometimes they are grateful. Other times they act completely annoyed.

     
  • At 9:18 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Way back when, when I worked at the Indianapolis International Airport, I spotted an older lady wearing a beautiful blue dress. Unfortunately, the back hem of said dress was caught up in the waistband of her pantyhose. I immediately walked up behind her to sort of hide her, err... indescretion from others and whispered what had happened to her. To say she was profuse in her thanks as I followed her to the nearest restroom would be an understatement. I did for her what I would hope someone would do for me.

     
  • At 10:56 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Hey! You didn't like my post from yesterday AM - sent before anything else was up in Comments? Too long? Didn't like the reference to Eleanor Roosevelt?
    My feelings are hurt.
    Flarns to you... (smile - that 's the password.)

     
  • At 8:52 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Yeah-- I've had to tell people to XYZ-- usually my children! My stepmom's saying to the boys in the family was, "The Scissor-bird's gonna get ya! The girl's don't have to worry--he's already been by and gottem!"

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home