Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Has the bleeding stopped?

We went to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra last night. The last time we saw them they were sort of Manheim Steamroller with more rock. This time, they had gone quite heavy metal. I found that if you tear a business card into quarters, you can make earplugs for two people. Give half the card to a friend, put a quarter of the card on each side of your mouth, and chew till you have reduced it to a well-moistened pulp. Then stick it in your ears. You may have to use tweezers to get it out, but it reduces the aural assault to below the pain threshold.


The thing that did me in, was the light show. Evidently, performers want you to know what it's like to be in the spotlight. They had spots and lasers directed at the audience, and when everything went on at once, you could feel the heat from twenty rows away. Flash! Then black. FLASH! then dim red. Twinkly, twinkly background lights, sparkly dancing background lasers lancing up through the backstage fog banks, then FLASH!!! Twenty minutes of that, and I began watching the concert with my eyes closed. Migraine effects initiated behind my eyes. The "music" pounded against me. I could feel it vibrating in my collarbones. Finally I told DH, "I can't take the lights any longer. I'll be out in the front." I'm grateful that there were handrails to grip on the way up the stairs, because I wasn't all that steady on my feet. I got out of the arena and found a chair, sat down with my hands over my eyes, and just breathed for a while. DH and our guests soon showed up and very kindly left early to take me home.


We agreed: 1.too loud 2. visually assaultive 3.dischordant, quasi-Jimmi Hendriks versions of classic Christmas carols not to our tastes. 4. All the guitarists must have practiced for hours to get that fabulous shampoo-model hair flip move. They all thrashed their heads around through every song.
5 Vocalists voices just not that great. 6.seats were hard and far too close together. 7. This was a once in a lifetime experience - thank god!

The rest of the audience was delighted, so I guess we qualify as puckered old farts. Oh well. We can wear it with pride. The joy of being an old fart is that you don't have to do anything you don't want to, just to impress other people.

10 Comments:

  • At 8:22 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Excellent review :)
    Now I know and won't have to bother to go if they come to LA.

     
  • At 8:39 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    We saw them last year and my husband would agree with you on a lot of counts. He didn't think they were musically all that talented. I was disappointed in the long story-songs that didn't seem all that Christmasy to me. I did enjoy the light show, though. I do like their albums, where I can adjust the volume and skip over the songs I don't like.

     
  • At 8:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    What a shame!! I know that concerts & movies are loud but sometimes I don't know why they have to be excessively loud.
    Hope you're feeling better today.

     
  • At 11:08 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I doubt I would have enjoyed it either. Never got into Jimmy Hendricks.

     
  • At 11:58 AM , Blogger LA said...

    I agree with you! I guess it shows my age that I like volume control...and if I don't like it, I just leave. I don't need to yell at anyone, or be nasty...I just leave.

     
  • At 11:56 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    LOL-- as much as I loved them, I certainly give you your right to be a puckered old fart--baby, you do it with such class.

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    We went and saw TSO two years in a row. Same music, same lights, same (bleeping) show. Haven't been back to them since.

    Yes, they do have the heavy-metal head bobbing down, the lead guy is from Megadeath.

     
  • At 7:28 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Yeah, the heck with this "When I am old I will wear purple" stuff. What if something happens? If I want to wear purple I am by Hannah going to wear it NOW.

    Hope the bleeding has stopped!

     
  • At 12:21 AM , Anonymous Barb said...

    I am so sorry because those tickets aren't cheap and you shouldn't have to pay to go deaf at an earlier age. We went to a Blue Man show a couple of years ago. Loud and stupid was all I could say.

    So move over on the bench, pruney gal, I'm joining you. Of course we're both deaf now, so we'll just throw acorns at the skateboarders as they whiz by.

     
  • At 7:37 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    Did you say something? You're going to need to speak up, I'm a little deef in both ears. I can't even make it through movies in an actual theater without covering my ears. My advice to young folks looking for retirement investments is to buy Miracle Ear stocks. In a few years nobody will be able to hear any more. I said, "NOBODY WILL BE ABLE TO HEAR ANY MORE!"

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home