Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, November 13, 2010

tea time


'Cmon on down! The table is all set and your hostess is ready! I'm wearing one of my favorite aprons- one given to me last Christmas by Janette in Australia. pretty, sassy, and with a big practical pocket. I love big practical pockets.




E. brought a batch of banana bread with peanutbutter glaze. As you can see, i used colored leaves instead of flowers to dress the table. The colored leaves wee free in the backyard. You don't have to spend a bundle to get a good effect.



Here is one of the side tables I set up in the livingroom. My dining room seats 10 comfortably, and I was expecting 16. Late-comers wound up in the livingroom.






But I think things came together in there quite nicely as well. The lemon cake was a little dry, the applesauce/honey cake was a bit too moist, the cheese rollups went well, and the chocolate shortbreads with the coffee jelly vanished. And who doesn't love oatmeal cookies? Dried cranberries substitute quite nicely for raisins.

MJ was kind enough to snap a couple photos of me with the spread this time.

I enjoy these parties so much that I was even happy to wash the dishes afterwards. Wish I could translate that attitude to cat boxes or keeping the house tidy or . . . oh well. I'm grateful for what I got!

The hugs, the joy, the communion - tea with the girls is a kind of church.

Toward the end of the party, there was a knock at the door. Two husbands wee there to pick up wives. One was on the phone. I heard him say, "OK, I'm goin' in now!" The age-old uncertainty about women's magic is still alive. (Cronish cackle of glee.) "Eeeeheeeeheeeheee!"

9 Comments:

  • At 6:31 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    What a beautiful fall table you set! I'm glad you all enjoyed such good company and delicious refreshments. I love it when menfolk are a little bit afeared of females.

     
  • At 7:37 PM , Blogger LA said...

    Oh Roxie...you make such a gracious and elegant hostess!!! All of the tables look perfect! But, I have to ask...how do you keep the kitties from checking out the tables???? My two are so curious...when they see me working on something, they have to check it out!

     
  • At 11:06 PM , Blogger Janette said...

    OMG you look fabulous. The table looks absolutely wonderful. You never do things by halves do you.

    One day I'm gonna turn up, one day.

     
  • At 6:26 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    One of the best parts of getting older is realizing how these small bits of life are the best (and keeping the men guessing what we're doing!)

    I made cookies yesterday but since I'm the only one who likes oatmeal cookies, I made chocolate chip orange cookies. Pk is trying to convince me that it's a failed experiment and he should put them all in the garage to "save me". What a guy.

     
  • At 7:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    You lay a nice table lady!!!
    I have a couple of half aprons that make me feel very June Cleaver or Nadia G., depending on my mood and the music playing! ;-)

     
  • At 4:15 PM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    Donna Reed ain't got nothin' on you. Nothin'!

     
  • At 6:33 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    As usual, I wish I had been there...

     
  • At 5:51 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Looks like a fun party. Sorry I missed it.

     
  • At 11:59 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I am, as always, in awe over your complete and total mastership of the art of hostessing. YOu make it look effortless and elegant, and I look forward to seeing you do it every month.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home