Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, November 05, 2010

Enjoy it while you can

We have had record-breaking warmth the last few days. Temperatures in the low 70s - in NOVEMBER! It is freaking strange, but I'm not complaining. The ski resorts opened in October for the first time in 40 years, but I bet they're closing again after this heat wave.





And the mushrooms - The ones that were golf-ball size on Wednesday had opened up overnight and by Thursday morning they were the size of tea-cups. The saucers swelled to the size of soup plates.









And these little white guys popped up in rings all over.










I had wayyy too much fun with the camera.





Odd shapes.


Tamara reminded me to pay attention to the gills. I think these neatly layered things means they're poison. but if the bottom is all criss-cross you can eat it with a knife and fork. Maybe. with lots of butter and garlic.




I think these are called tree ears. Growing on the root of a stump - hard, woody shelf-like fungi, helping to break down the cellulose and recycle the remainders back to dirt.


Meanwhile, the Camellia Japonica are starting to bloom. This is right on time for them. They will bloom all winter long.


This species is slightly fragrant. And sooo lovely.





November the 4th - unprecedented!








3 Comments:

  • At 11:28 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I also explored the campus! I saw all those mushrooms and wondered if all are edible or killers.

     
  • At 5:43 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Unfortunately with mushrooms, there is no magic rule to follow. There are gilled mushrooms that are edible, and some that are poisonous. There are boletes that are edible, and some that are just yuck. And silly stories about whether or not they turn a silver spoon black are just stories.

    The only way to really know is to study them with someone who does know, until they are as familiar as friends. And even then, we still say "When in doubt, throw it out," and "There are old mycologists, and there are bold mycologists, but there are no old, bold mycologists"!

    Meanwhile, we had snow yesterday here in Michigan...

     
  • At 11:14 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    My stepbrother actually moved to oregon to harvest mushrooms... he knows the ones that are good to eat! But as for the weather-- us too. I really don't like it. I like me a good cold snap, thank ya, even if it's just all wet.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home